What do you get for the man who has always been there for you?
You want it to be something special, something he hasn't gotten
before, something that he will cherish. It cannot be the tired
old gift of after shave lotion or soap on a rope. Not this year!
To start your idea list, think about the things you used to do
or still do together. Think about the "firsts" he added to your
life; the first baseball
game, the first boat
ride, how he helped you get your balance on your first bike,
how he showed you it was fun to play the piano, your first hunting or fishing
Make a list of the things he does now or things you've
heard him talk about doing but has never done. Somewhere in this
list is the perfect gift for the man who has been your Father
all these years.
1. For the sailing dad, get him a hand carved scaled model of
the winning sailing boat of the America's
Cup to proudly display in his office or den.
2. If he still has his grandfather's pocket
watch, get him a leather covered case to display it.
3. If your retired Dad spends a lot of his time traveling in
his RV, get him
a pair of moccasins made from moose hide. They are comfortable
and have extra grip soles for his safety.
4. If he collects small model
cars or trains, get a display cabinet that will hold and show
off his treasures.
5. If he talks about favorite places that he always wanted to visit, gather the family to contribute to a group gift of two round-trip tickets to his dream destination for him and Mom.
6. For the man who showed you how to wish on the moon, give him
an acre of Lunar Real Estate. He will get a certificate in the
7. If he showed you the constellations,
get him a telescope so he can easily gaze at the stars.
8. If his hands are always busy working on the computer keyboard, give him a squeezable ball to help relieve tension and
work different muscles. They come in all sizes now from the baseball
to huge ones that will work his shoulder muscles.
9. Did your Dad use to take you hunting? Give him a gourmet
meal of roasted quail, wild boar, deer, or rabbit shipped from exotic meat specialists (that can be easily arranged with a quick Internet search.)
10. Finally, rummage around for photos of your Dad showing him actively enjoying a favorite pasttime with you or your siblings. Collect them all and present it as a gift in a photo scrapbook or video presentation. He'll cherish it forever.