spores contain allergens, substances that some immune systems
recognize as dangerous," said Robert K. Bush, MD, Fellow
of the AAAAI and member of the AAAAI's Indoor Allergen Committee.
"Exposure to mold can trigger an allergic reaction such as
nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, coughing and hay fever-like
are microscopic organisms that are pervasive in any outdoor environment.
However, they may be brought inside via clothing, shoes and soils.
Mold needs only a food source, warm environment and moisture to
grow. Mold may be invisible to the eye or may look like furry
growth, black stains or specks of black, white, orange, green
and brown on surfaces. Large infestations of mold can usually
be seen or smelled.
mold be found?
Inside, basements or crawl spaces are likely places where mold may grow, as well as around windows, near leak pipes or under sinks.
mold is likely to grow near heavy vegetation, in piles of leaves, or near hay or straw.
Along with keeping your outdoor spaces free of swampy areas, piles of leaves or overgrown vegetation, the AAAAI recommends that you take the following steps to rid
your home of mold:
leaking roof and pipes
a low level of humidity in your home (between 35-40 percent);
if necessary, use a de-humidifier to remove moisture
Use a solution
of warm water, liquid detergent and 5% bleach to clean the mold
on washable surfaces
fans in the bathroom and wipe down the shower after use
If mold is visible on soft spaces, such as carpeting or wallpaper, these
things should be removed
of the allergist/immunologist
An allergist/immunologist can evaluate your symptoms and help
you determine which are caused by mold. To learn more
about allergies and asthma, visit the AAAAI Web
site at www.aaaai.org.