a get-together with family and friends? Why not plan your party
around a lemon theme? It will add colour, aroma, taste and good
health to your event. Sunkist Growers of California brings you
fun ideas inspired by this zesty kitchen staple.
Bright, yellow, tart and tangy, lemons are one of nature's
most versatile, healthy and delicious fruits. Since lemons are
available throughout the year, they make an attractive, affordable
and accessible décor item and recipe ingredient.
Tart up recipes
Nothing adds zest or intensity to a dish like a squeeze of lemon. Visit www.sunkist.com for a variety of lemon-inspired recipes.
• Use hollowed out, scalloped lemons to serve side dishes like rice and desserts like lemon custard, sherbet or mousse.
• If you are reducing your sodium or fat intake, try squeezing a wedge of fresh lemon on salads, steamed vegetables, soups and stews. You'll never miss the salt or butter!
• Lemon juice added to rice prevents it from sticking and enhances its white colour.
Lovely lemony décor
Yellow is one of the hottest designer colours this season. There are countless ways to include whole and sliced lemons into party décor, adding scent and colour to florals, candles and place settings.
• A bowl of fresh lemons will add fragrance and colour to a room for days.
• Lemons add a splash of sunshine to a floral bouquet and to your party table
• Tuck a single flower bloom (try a daisy) and a name card into a lemon for a fresh, individual place card.
Clean and green
Lemon juice has long been recognized for its magical cleaning properties and will make party clean up healthy, inexpensive and fresh-smelling. Use in place of bleach and other cleaners.
• Mix lemon juice and vinegar in a handy spray bottle for quick clean ups around the house.
• Use it to clean fixtures, tiles and other surfaces or cut in half, dip in baking soda to scour sinks, bathtubs and cutting boards.
• Keep your garbage disposal smelling fresh by grinding up lemon shells after juicing.