Tack up the movie posters -- and lay out the red carpet -- for friends and loved ones this year with some of the best ideas for Oscar Night movie parties this side of Hollywood.
That includes themes and decorations, party games, and party food and drink recipes.
First, don't forget to download and print the Oscar pool sheet so guests can vote for their favorites on Oscar night. It's a great icebreaker, and the guest who picks the most Oscar winners gets a prize after the telecast! (And, yes, they can thank their Mom and the Academy.)
Next, be sure to send out Oscar party invitations early so that guests can clear their calendars for the biggest party night of the season. Purchase invitations, or make your own using downloadable movie night clipart and clever wording such "Lights! Camera! Action! or "We're rolling out the red carpet....and you're invited!" Also be sure to include time, date, and RSVP details.
This year, set the date for Sunday, March 4, 2018 when the 2018 Oscar telecast airs on ABC beginning at 5:30 PM PT / 8:30PM ET on ABC.
Let's get this Oscar party started
On party night, decorate in classic gold and white --- or take your cue from this year's crop of Oscar-worthy movies.
Whatever YOUR excuse for a memorable movie themed party, be sure to make it fun for guests - and easy on you! - with these helpful tips for celebrating all things Hollywood:
Make sure the food is plentiful, but keep it simple with make
ahead dishes, snackable meals or movie night popcorn that guests can easily munch on in comfortable easy chairs, or on the couch in front of the TV.
Not enough seating for everybody? Get guests comfortable by clearing out the coffee table and leaving plenty of room for chairs, beanbags, or oversized pillows for your front row audience.
Use TV commercial breaks for mingling and party activities - such as famous movie quotes, a mini-marathon of "Name That Movie Tune" featuring Oscar-winning songs, or Oscar trivia (see below).
When the night is over, send guests home happy with goodie bags filled with popcorn, boxes of movie candy, and plastic sunglasses.
DID YOU KNOW? Oscar party trivia
Oscar Hammerstein II, the only
ever win an Oscar.
There's a good reason when new winners are surprised at the sheer weight of the Oscar award. At 8 1/2 pounds, accepting the golden statuette is similar to holding a gallon of milk.
• The youngest Oscar winner ever was Tatum O'Neal, who won Best Supporting Actress for Paper Moon (1973) when she was 10 years old.
• At the age of 82, Christopher Plummer became the oldest person to win an Academy Award when he won for Best Actor in a Supporting role for the film Beginners (2010).
• Three of the most successful films in Oscar history are Ben-Hur (1959), Titanic (1997), and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003), each winning a record 11 Oscars.
• Record holders for hosting the Academy Awards include comedian Bob Hope, who hosted a total of 18 Academy Award ceremonies followed by Billy Crystal with 8, and Johnny Carson with 5.
• The only Oscar to win an Oscar? That was Oscar Hammerstein II who won the Oscar for Best Song, "The Last Time I Saw Paris," in the movie Lady Be Good (1941).
• What wins Best Picture the most? Traditionally, it helps if it's a drama or musical. Action movies, comedies and superhero blockbusters are rarely nominated for the top prize. In fact, no superhero movie has ever been nominated for Best Picture.
More movie & Oscar Night party ideas around the Web:
Around the Web, check out more planning advice and decorating tips, including all-out Oscar party costume ideas, invitation how to's, and lots more...