The chance for the top Broadway shows to strut their stuff before the world and be rewarded for once-in-a-lifetime live performances.
This year, another round of accolades for the 2018 season will be revealed when Tony nominees are announced in May.
Then, theater lovers will take a seat as the curtain went up at the 72nd annual
2018 Tony Awards, televised live on Sunday, June 10, 2018 on CBS beginning at 8PM ET from Radio City Music Hall in New York City.
All About the Tony Awards
By today's standards, the Tonys had very humble beginnings when it first opened off Broadway in 1947
It took place at the Grand Ballroom of the Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Tickets were $7, with dinner and dancing.
The formal name for the first awards ceremony was, and remains, the "Antoinette Perry Awards" -- named for Antoinette Perry an acting trooper, director, and all-around admired figure on
The award itself was a scroll, with the addition of a sterling silver compact case for the women, and an engraved gold bill clip or cigarette lighter for the men.
After three decades on Broadway, the Tonys finally settled in at Radio City Music Hall and for more than ten years played there until 2010.
The Tonys next entered a new era as the curtain rose at the Beacon Theatre to laud the most successful shows on Broadway. But in a plot twist that everyone knew was coming, the Tony's eventually returned to Radio City Music Hall in 2013 honoring the biggest Broadway shows in city's biggest theater.
Tony Awards fun facts
Winning-est musical: The Producers
• High-caliber revolver: Hinged on a curved armature, the Tony Award medallion is the only major entertainment award that spins.
• The host with the most: One of the modern era's most popular Tony hosts, Neil Patrick Harris has MC'd the Tony Awards show 4 times in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2013. On a side note, he has won three Emmys for hosting the Tonys.
• Hollywood to Broadway: Although Broadway shows have been adapted into popular movies in the past, the modern trend goes in reverse. Hollywood-to-Broadway shows that have gone on to win Tonys include 42nd Street, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Lion King, and The Producers.
• The musical with the most Tony Awards:The Producers (2001) with 12.
• The actress with the most Tony Awards: Audra McDonald has won six Tony Awards for performance, more than any other individual. She is the only person to have won Tony Awards in four different acting categories.
• The person with the most Tony Awards: Producer/director Harold Prince with 21.
• Tony winner with the longest title: The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade (1966). It was known as Marat/Sade for short.
Around the Web, get a front row seat to the most current news,
pictures and buzz about who this year's Antoinette Perry Awards .... along with complete nominee lists & winners of the past
who have walked away with Broadway's top prize :
- The official site of the American Theatre Wing with current
nominees and winners, video clips and interviews, wallpapers,
pictures and profiles of past winners, Broadway news and events,
archives and more.
Forum - Join the fray at this active discussion board
sponsored by The Envelope featuring the latest Tony gossip, rumors
& predictions, plus general Broadway news & show reviews.
- Wikipedia - Nice overview from the online encyclopedia
with related info on the Broadway show scene and a listing of
past nominees & winners.