With a growing number of people being swept up in the craze for camping you, too, might be wondering what all the fuss is about.
For the merely curious, or for those who are about to pioneer their first camping trip, here's a list of great reasons why campgrounds remain so popular as a weekend getaway or summer vacation destination:
1. Camping is peaceful. You'll be surprised at how your mind and body react when it's not stressed out by modern inconveniences like traffic, air pollution, or ringing telephones.
2. Camping is exciting. Feel you're heart start to pound with a first sighting of a hummingbird, or a chance encounter with a white-tailed dear feeding just yards away from your campsite.
3. Camping is educational. No matter how smart you think you are, you'll learn something new with each new camping experience. Many state and national parks offer exhibits and scheduled walks that are fun and entertaining especially for little campers.
4. Camping is a great bonding experience. Away from work or school, camping allows you to spend quality time alone with the people you love in a relaxed atmosphere.
"Camping is a great excuse not to text, email or talk to anyonefor days at a stretch..."
5. Camping is a great way to get reacquainted with how to start a campfire, or get back into boating, fishing, hiking, nature walks, and other activities you enjoyed as a kid. For the ultimate in childlike abandon don't forget to pack ingredients for a delicious batch of smores served over the campfire.
6. Camping is a great excuse not to text, email or talk to anyone for days at a stretch. Just say, "I'm going camping!..." *
7. Camping is so affordable. The average cost for camping fees in state or national park campgrounds ranges from $10 to $20 a night. For private campgrounds it varies from $20 to $50 depending on the location and the amenities on offer.
8. Camping is the ultimate do-it-yourself start up adventure. Just begin with the camping equipment basics: a tent, a sleeping bag, matches, a cooler and some food and utensils. Later, you can plan to get serious with high end camping gear or the rv camper.
9. Camping makes you appreciate all the modern conveniences on your return home!
10. Camping means you'll thank yourself later. The taste of breakfast "al fresco", the sights, the smells, and the experience of sleeping under the stars and communing with nature all create memories that will last a lifetime.**
So, what are you waiting for? Take the time now to find a campground near you, and then ... go camping.
* Today, many state and national parks now provide wi-fi and cell phone service, but your boss and co-workers don't have to know that.
** Bring the camera.
More reasons to go camping (and tips for newbies) around the Web: