Although Oklahoma was the last US state in the union to make Christmas an official holiday (in 1907, the year they became a state) they have been playing catch-up ever since with a full array of holiday events and festivals throughout the season.
what's going on around the Sooner State during December with holiday
entertainment featuring light shows, music, dancing, parades,
- and if you're traveling through Oklahoma City, don't miss the
Downtown in December celebration
offering a month-long Christmas extravaganza.
DID YOU KNOW? Oklahoma Christmas fun facts
A very good boy poses with Santa
at OKC's "Dog Day in December.'"
• In Oklahoma City, you can take your favorite canine family member to the annual Dog Day in December fund raiser and holiday party in Oklahoma City at Midtown Mutts Dog Park. Treat your favorite pooch to photos with Santa, "puppuccinos", as well as other goodies to celebrate the season.
• Every year, visitors can return to 1st century Bethlehem at Tulsa’s Bethlehem Walk featuring a guided tour through wooded church lands to meet the Three Wise Men, shepherds and their flocks, and other characters that figure in the Nativity story. The journey ends with an encounter with Baby Jesus at the stable surrounded by living farm animals.
• It's all free, and worth the 45-minute drive from Oklahoma City just to see the award-winning Chikasha Festival of Light often cited at one of the Top Ten holiday light shows in the country. Join the fun at the 43-acre Shannon Springs Park which transforms into a holiday wonderland with four miles of festive walkways, thousands of lights, and a 25-foot angel heralding the Christmas season.
More information about Christmas in Oklahoma around the Web:
Oklahoma City Downtown
- One of Oklahoma City's top Christmas destinations includes an
outdoor skating rink, snow tubing rides down a giant slope, water
taxi trips along Bricktown Canal, and a light show at the botanical
Christmas in the Park - A spectacular drive thru through
Christmas light displays along Jim Watson Drive, Freedom Trail
Playground and Chisholm Trail Park.
Christmas Parade - Attracting thousands of visitors each
year to a popular, award-winning nighttime spectacle of lights,
music, floats, and antique cars.
City Christmas in the Park - A weekend of spectacular
lights, delicious hot cocoa and cookies, rides on the carousel,
the Candy Cane Express, double-decker buses and horse-drawn carriages
at Ackley Park. Includes schedule, photos and a video preview.
Christmas Celebration - Guthrie's month-long bash includes
candlelight trolley tours, a Victorian Walk of living displays
in store windows, a Christmas play, historic home tours, and Christmas
tree displays at the Oklahoma Publishing Museum.
Christmas Parade - Check out the full parade route and
information on Tulsa's major holiday attraction featuring a celebrity
grand marshal, giant helium balloons, spectacular floats, equestrian
units, marching bands, dancers and drill teams.
Castle Christmas - The Castle in Muskogee features their annual
drive thru of more than a thousand illuminated Christmas inflatables
featuring Santa, Rudolph, the Grinch & Frosty.
Tree Farms in Oklahoma - Where to find precut or pick-your-own
Christmas tree farms by region or county including those offering
related holiday sleigh rides and seasonal refreshments or entertainment.