Come on, weather man,
Give us a forecast snowy white
Can't you hear the prayers
Of every childlike heart tonight... Tennessee
Snow or no,
Tennessee tugs at the heartstrings around the holidays with grand spectacles
and annual events scheduled throughout the state - with major holiday hoopla
in and around Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga and, of course, the annual Pigeon Forge Christmas show — when Dollywood really sparkles ....
DID YOU KNOW? Tennessee Christmas fun facts
A visit from Santa at the Knoxville
Christmas Parade, 1928.
• In 1924, the first Macy's holiday parade took place in New York City but, not to be outdone, Knoxville answered the call four years later in 1928 with Knoxville Christmas Parade extravaganza of their own -- featuring elaborate floats, character balloons, a visit from Santa, and tens of thousands of spectators. Today, the parade remains Knoxville's No. 1 holiday attraction.
• In Nashville, Elvis recorded over 200 of his songs at RCA’s historic Studio B on Music Row. A string of Christmas lights still hangs in the studio after Elvis had a hard time getting in the holiday spirit while recording a Christmas album during the hot summer of 1971.
• Head for the hills for the annual Festival of Christmas Past at the Sugarlands Visitor Center in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Gatlinburg, TN. The annual holiday event features craft demonstrations such as toy making, making apple butter and weaving baskets, along with storytelling and live harp music. And it's all free.
More information about Christmas in Tennessee around the Web:
A Country Christmas at Gaylord
Opryland Resort- This is the Tennessee home of the Radio City Christmas spectacular
featuring the Rockettes, spectacular light shows plus other holiday fun including
carriage rides and Nativity display.
at Belle Meade Plantation
- The grand Nashville mansion is set for the holidays and beautifully
decorated as visitors learn about Christmas traditions during
the 19th century.
Dollywood - Smoky Mountain Christmas - Check out the annual holiday extravaganza at Dollywood's Showstreet Palace, along with the Parade of Lights and lots more, with related photos & schedule.,
at Graceland - Elvis' home in Memphis decorated just as
he would have wanted, with an annual lighting ceremony and other
festivities, and a live preview via the onsite Holiday
of a Christmas - In historic Franklin you'll find favorite Dickens
characters helping to welcome in Christmas with strolling musicians,
carriage rides, and holiday eats and treats on Main Street.
Winter Days and Lights
- Join in the excitement at various locations with information
on the Christmas on the River and the Grande Illumination on Riverfront
Parkway, the Holiday Starlight Parade, the Appalachian Christmas
celebration at Waterhouse Pavilion, and kid-friendly fun including
Breakfast with Santa at the Chattanoogan Hotel.