New York City hosts two major "Super Bowls of Fashion"
with the big names of fashion unveiling their fall designs in February, and their spring and summer collections in September.
The upcoming New York fashion extravaganza is scheduled for September 2021.
Watch for the premiere of the 2022 spring / summer collection during the next New York Fashion Week set to run Wednesday, September 8 to Sunday, September 12, 2021. This year's three main venues will all be located in downtown Manhattan at Spring Studios, Highline Stages, and at 160 Varick Street.
The September show will be the first in-person event following the changeover to an all-virtual edition in February due to health concerns. NOTE: However, organizers have recently announced that due to the current rise of COVID cases over the summer, shows may be delayed or canceled without notice.
With the entire city now the backdrop to Fashion Week, attendees have to be on their toes to discover WHO is showing WHERE. (For help, check the link for this year's schedule for a complete list of locations where the top designers will be showing this year.)
Meanwhile, unless you're member fo the press or a fashion industry insider it's difficult to score New York Fashion Week tickets but with a litte luck you may still get a ticket to a public show.
In 2010, the city made good on its promise to provide a bigger showcase to house the biannual event, moving away from the traditional tents at
Bryant Park which had been home to New York Fashion Week since 1993.
Begiining in September 2010, New York Fashion Week moved to Damrosch Park at the Lincoln Center complex, home to the renowned Metropolitan Opera house and American Ballet Theatre.
However, several years later some of the most famous names in fashion began strutting their stuff elsewhere. Today, the biggest names in fashion have opted to choose from a variety of unique venues -- ranging from the Brooklyn Navy Yard, to the Musuem of Natural History, to various spaces located in Tribeca and other showrooms around town.
The September 2021 show will be held at Spring Street Studios, Highline Stages, and 160 Varick Street.
DID YOU KNOW? New York Fashion Week trivia & fun facts
• Although Paris was the birthplace of the modern fashion show, New York was the first city that begin organizing shows seasonally. The first New York fashion show was organized in 1943 and called "Fashion Press Week".
• Today, among the Big Four fashion shows worldwide, New York Fashion Week is first - followed by London, Milan, and Paris.
• New York used to be LAST of the Big Four until designer Helmut Lang moved from Vienna to New York in 1998, and decided to show his collection in September, before any of the big European shows. Lang was quickly joined by Calvin Klein and Donna Karan. And the last major fashion show of the year suddenly become the first.
• New York Fashion Week attracts more than 200,000 attendees each year and generates more revenue for the city than the U.S. Tennis Open and the New York City Marathon.
• It takes three weeks to prepare for NYFW as design and construction crews work around the clock.
• Top fashion designers are known to pay up to $100,000 for a major celebrity to sit in the front row during NYFW to attract more press attention to their lastest fashion lines.
2021 New York Fashion Week around the Web:
Elsewhere on the Web, stay up-to-date with the latest from New York Fashion Week including photos, video, fun facts and information as another glam fashion extravaganza glides down the runway in the world's trendiest fashion capital ....
New York Fashion Week - The official site featuring news & updates with the complete schedule, designer profiles, and daily photos.