These diseases also weaken the immune system and increase the possibility of contracting HIV/AIDS which can effectively mean dealing with an incurable disease for your life's duration.
How to avoid becoming a statistic
• Abstinence from sex, of course, is the best way to avoid a sexually transmitted disease, but if you're already sexually active there are a number of ways to decrease your risk:
• Condoms are usually recommended as the best, first line of defense against catching or transmitting disease.
• Recreational drugs or overdoing it with alcohol on date night? It will impair your judgment and may even lead to participating in an activity without your consent.
• Get tested, and make sure your partner does the same.
• Stay monogamous, or at least limit the number of partners you have. A sexual relationship in which both partners are tested healthy and risk free greatly reduces your chances of contracting an STD.
More about sexually transmitted diseases around the Web:
Around the Web, find out more about the risks of sexually transmitted diseases as well as facts and information on causes, prevention and treatment ....
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) - From the US Centers for Disease Control, this extensive guide offers information on causes, symptoms and treatment along with printable fact sheets, related statistics, and updates.