prevalence of late pregnancies, and the increased use of modern
fertility drugs, women are having multiple births as never
With the new trend of multiple births comes added responsibilities, as well as special problems and medical concerns. These may including the risk of miscarriage. premature birth, and low birth weights.
• Preeclampsia is a condition that almost 15% of women who carry twins may experience, with high blood pressure one of the major symptoms. Preeclampsia may also be accompanied by throbbing headaches, edema (swelling of the hands and feet), and changes in vision. Doctors often monitor expectant multiple-birth mothers for preeclampsia through frequent blood pressure monitoring, as well as urine samples to test for high protein content, another major preeclampsia symptom.
• Gestational diabetes is another condition that women with twins or triplets seem to develop more often than those who are expecting single births. Doctors usually recommend careful monitoring for the condition, which can often be controlled with diet and exercise. More severe cases may call for administering insulin shots together with more frequent tests to monitor blood sugar levels.
• Placental abruption is a risk factor more frequently seen in expectant mothers of multiple births, whereby the placenta detaches from the uterine wall before delivery. If it occurs at all it, is usually in the second or third trimester which may result in growth problems, preterm delivery, or stillbirth.
While expectant mothers of twins or triplets feel doubly (or triply!) blessed, multiple births also involve additional risks and associated conditions that, with careful monitoring, can lead to a happy and healthy outcome for all concerned.
Learn more around the Web at top online resources offering expert tips and information on twins, triplets, and quadruplets, together with supportive forums and chats,
FAQs, fact sheets and feature articles on preparing for -
and caring for - three, or four, or more...
More about multiple births around the Web:
Twins, Triplets, Multiple Births
- Check out the latest news reports on the topic plus major links
by category to general overviews, preparing for multiple births,
parenting of multiples, plus related directories, glossaries,
organizations, research and statistics, from MedlinePlus.
When and how to find out if you're carrying twins or more - Here's a good discussion on various tests for twins including DZ (dizygotic, or single placenta) and MZ (monozygotic or double placenta) with related
feature story articles and more about twins and multiple births
Pregnancy - Illustrated, extensively hyperlinked discussion
on fraternal and identical twins, risks and expectations,
and caring for multiples, with related instructional videos,
from PENN Pregnancy Health Center.
for Multiple Births - Here's a helpful guide covering risks
and health issues, expectations and preparation, delivery options,
including links to related feature articles and additional
- The digital home of the print publication offers feature
articles, advice and tips, first-person accounts, information
on reader contributions, message boards, directory of related
clubs and resources, online shopping.
Raising Multiples - Pregnancy and parenting advice
for triplets, quadruplets and more in this online community
with helpful advice, tips, feature articles, statistics and
resources on the subject, along with supportive chats and
forums, FAQs, membership information.
is intended as reference and not as medical advice.
All treatment decisions should be made by medical professionals.