In fact, the entire weekend is devoted to special events with a special Kiddie Carnival on Saturday (which runs from President Street to the grounds of the Brooklyn Museum of Art); a Dimanche Gras (Fat Sunday) celebration; and an early Monday morning (starting around 3AM) J'Ouvert parade, a celebration of steel pan drums that kicks off the main parade beginning at 11AM.
Colorful steel band performances and other concerts held throughout the weekend are also held at the nearby Brooklyn Museum on Eastern Parkway.
DID YOU KNOW? Brooklyn West Indian Carnival fun facts
Months of preparation go into the colorful
costumes seen parading on Labor Day.
• Each year, months of preparation go into creating costumes, hiring music bands, arranging for food vendors, and organizing cultural events surrounding the parade.
• Attending the Brooklyn carnival is like a foodie tour of the Caribbean. In addition to jerk chicken and fried fish, a variety of regional foods available include meat patties, coconut bread, fried plantains, breadfruit, sweet potato pie, carrot cake, rum punch and ginger beer.
• While most attendees are from the NYC's five boroughs, some visitors travel in to the Brooklyn Labor Day carnival from nearby New Jersey and Connecticut or as far away as the UK and Canada.
• The total economic impact in sales and tourism for NYC from the carnival is about $300 million annually.
• The success of the Brooklyn carnival has inspired imitators in other cities such as Miami, Boston, and Los Angeles
More about the Brooklyn West Indian Day Parade around the Web:
Around the Web, learn more about the West Indian Labor Day Carnival & Parade featuring history & fun facts, details and directions to the parade route, and tips & advice on best viewing areas ...as Brooklyn rocks to a Caribbean beat this
Labor Day weekend :
Brooklyn - West Indian Carnival History - Brooklyn Library fact sheet including a lovely overview, fun facts on parade music, Caribbean food vendors and background information on parade preparations, related photos.
Day Carnival - Overview of parade history, related resources & photos from Wikipedia.