Baking cookies is a Christmas tradition that is observed in every corner of the globe.
The smell of fresh baked cookies wafting from the kitchen is a treat anytime of year, but around the holidays it is sure to add something special to the festive spirit.
These traditional recipes & how-to's
for German, French, Italian and other national favorites - as well as some new ideas - will get you started creating
your own holiday memories with your kids and family.
Remember that wrapped or jar cookies - baked up fresh in your own kitchen - also make extra special hostess gifts for your holiday visits. Also note that Christmas cookies don't have to overly decorated or involve lots of time.
Especially if your Christmas baking beginner, check out this favorite Christmas sugar cookie that is as simple to make as it is quick to be gobbled up during the holidays!
Basic Christmas sugar cookie recipe
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. In a small bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder, and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
3. Gradually add in flour and baking powder mixture until stiff.
4. Roll out dough about 1/4 inch thick and use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes.
5. place on prepared ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 7-8 minutes or until edges turn a golden brown.
Makes about 2 dozen
Use a cookie cutter to form them into Christmas trees, angels, or other holiday shapes, add some green and red sprinkles, and you're ready to serve up a special treat for friends and family that is sure to become a holiday tradition.
12 Days of Cookies - Check out this Food Network special with a dozen top favorites with complete ingredient lists, instructions and photos.
Christmas Cookie Recipes from Germany, Switzerland and Austria - These cookie recipes will stir up memories of merry holidays
- the selection of Christmas cake decorating instructions, Gingerbread House and Yule Log and ideas for cookie jar gifts are extras for your holiday baking, decorating and gift giving needs...
French Christmas Cookie Recipes - Your Noel will definitely be Joyeux with these cookie recipes gathered to please all
the little people in your home. The grown ups will be just as impressed with these cookie recipes from France.