New York goes to the dogs again this year at the 142nd Westminster Dog Show at Madison Square Garden in New York City from Monday, February 12 to Tuesday, February 13, 2018.
Watch for full television coverage of this year's Best in Show competition on Fox Sports 1 on Tuesday, February 13 beginning at 8PM -- starring the cutest, handsomest and most stunning dog breeds from coast to coast.
FOX Sports digital platforms will provide additional coverage, carrying daytime breed judging from Piers 92 and 94 in New York, while Nat Geo WILD offers encore airings of each night’s programs.
Tickets for the 2018 Westiminster Dog Show went on sale in October 2017, available at Ticketmaster. Ticket prices range from $40 for general admission, with the costs climbing to $100 or more for special two-day packages.
Surprisingly, for the first time since 2006 no new breeds will be appearing at this year's show, but already announced will be the Nederlandse kooikerhondje and the grand basset griffon Vendeen which will be making their big debuts next year.
Flynn, the bichon frisé, named 2018 Winner Best in Show
2018 Westminster Dog Show WINNER
Flynn, the bichon frisé, was named Best in Show to take the top title in 2018.
Competing against Flynn in the final round was Lucy the borzoi, a pug named Biggie, Slick the Border collie, Bean the Sussex spaniel, Ty the giant schnauzer, and Winston the Norfolk terrier.
All about the Westminster Dog Show
Now an American institution, the first Westminster Dog Show was held on May 8, 1877 and is the second oldest sporting event in the United States behind the Kentucky Derby which was first run in 1875.
Originally, the Westminster Dog Show (so named because it was held at the Westminster Hotel in Manhattan) was a showcase for the talents of hunting dogs belonging to New York millionaires. Throughout the years the show has grown to feature thousands of dogs representing more than 165 recognized breeds.
Today, those without a ticket to the Westminster Dog Show can still see video clips of the breed competition when they are shot and posted on the official Westminster Dog Show site within two hours of each event. This allows viewers to virtually follow the progression of dogs in each breed as they vie to be Best of Breed and win the right to advance to the Group competition and a chance for Best In Show.
DID YOU KNOW? Westminster Dog Show fun facts
Best in Show record:
Wire Fox Terrier
• The first telecast of Westminster was in 1948.
• In tribute to the Dog Show, the Empire State Building has been lit in the Westminster Kennel Club’s traditional purple and gold each February since 2004.
• The Wire Fox Terrier is the record holder with 14 wins for Best in Show at Westminster. Coming in second place is the Poodle with nine, and in third place, the Scottish Terrier with eight wins.
• Breeds which have never won at Westminster? They include Golden Retrievers, Labs, Chihuahuas, Dachshunds and Dalmatians.
• There is zero prize money for the best in show, but the owner receives a Best in Show pewter bowl, lucrative breeding contracts, and bragging rights.
Getting to the Show
In recent years, the Westminster Dog Show has moved its breed judging to Piers 92/94 (located at West 55th Street) on the West Side Highway.
However, the show continues to return to its traditional digs at Madision Square Garden for the major competitions such as Groups, Junior Showmanship Finals, and the ultimate Best in Show.
Madison Square Garden
• From the East Side, take the 4, 5, or 6 to Grand Central. At Grand Central transfer to the 42nd St Shuttle to Times Square-42 St, then the to 34 St-Penn Station.
• From the West Side, all trains (A, C, E, 1, 2, 3, B, D, F, N, M, Q & R) converge on Penn Station a block away from Madison Square Garden.
• By bus, use the M10or M20bus routes, which run south on 7th Avenue and north on 8th, or the M16or M34which run east and west on 34th Street, a block away from the Garden.
Piers 92 and 94
• Take 8th Ave Subway C or E train to 50th Street. Then take the M50 Bus (weekdays only) at 49th St. & 8th Ave. to 49th St and 12th Ave.
• Take A, B, C, D, 1 or 9 train to Columbus Circle and walk west to 12th Ave.
• Take the cross town M50 (weekdays only) at 57th St. to 12th Ave.
More about the Westminster Dog Show around the Web:
Around the Web, find out more about America's premier 'Top Dog' contest with facts and info on the competition, show background history, related wallpapers and screen savers, along with related fun facts and trivia about the Westminster Dog Show
The Westminster Kennel Club - Here's the official site with a top notch presentation offering the latest dog show news,
video (on show days), ticket purchase information, entry requirements, a complete history with archived show records dating back
to 1907, an extensive illustrated guide to dog
breeds, past year show highlights and an online shop.