What's worse than acne? That would be the scars and pock marks that acne can leave behind as unwanted reminders!
You don't have to live with acne scars. Of course, each case is different requiring either a single or a combination of treatments to affect a cure.
While it's easier to rid your face of mild or moderate scarring with home remedies, more severe cases may require more extensive treatment by a qualified dermatologist or costmetic surgeon.
Just up ahead, discover the most common remedies for acne scars with more detailed information on over the counter ointments, homemade cures and folk remedies, as well as professional treatments for more visible marks and scars:
1. A & D ointment with zinc, available over the counter in most US drug stores, is sometimes recommended for healing any type of minor-to-moderate skin scarring. Use a light coating of ointment over pock marks every day for several weeks and you should see the scars disappear.
2. Triple antibiotic ointment, another over the counter treatment, has also been been shown to aid healing and fade small scars over time.
3. For large areas of acne scarring, consult with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to discuss available options such as a chemical peel, laser resurfacing, or dermabrasion.
Of the three, a chemical peel is probably the mildest treatment while laser resurfacing and dermabrasion are usually used in more extreme acne scarring cases.
4. Natural cures for light acne scars include daily applications of aloe, Vitamin E, or lemon juice (the latter used a natural chemical or acid peel).
5. Recommended home remedies include gentle baking soda rubs (a natural dermabrasion technique).
Also try a homemade facial made with oatmeal, yogurt and a few drops of lemon juice to aid healing. Apply for 15 minutes and wash off. Apply the oatmeal mask daily until acne scars begin to disappear.
For a quick though temporary treatment, try rubbing an ice cube on scars to help relieve swelling and inflammation and tighten pores.