It takes a gentle touch and some practice, but with care and patience you can achieve a professional teased look without ripping or split ends.
Whether you are into the emo scene, adding volume to your hair, dressing up for an '80's theme party - or you just like the "big hair" look for special occasions - you can safely learn how to tease or backcomb your hair while maintaining its bounce, shine and vibrancy.
1. Wash your hair, then follow up with a deep conditioning treatment to add strength and elasticity to your hair. Blow dry completely and let hair cool thoroughly to minimize ripping and tearing.
2. To begin, separate a 1-2 inch section of hair at the top of your head and hold it up firmly. Using a metal comb or teasing brush, gently brush or backcomb the strand in quick strokes from the top down toward the scalp.
3. Repeat until the strand has the desired texture and volume (if the brush becomes tangled in your hair you'll know you are brushing too vigorously.)
4. Apply a light spritz of hairspray to hold the section in place.
5. Continue separating strands of hair, gently backcombing and applying light hairspray to individual sections until you have the desired look.
6. Since teasing often results making hair look dull and dry, apply a shine serum. Rub the product into the palms of your hands to very lightly glide over the top of your new "do" to add instant shimmer.