Venue: Fort Copacabana Dates: August 18 – 20, 2016 Gold medals in contention: 2 Athletes in competition: 110
running and swimming all wrapped up in one sport - the triathlon.
Triathlon made its Olympic debut at Sydney in 2000 with the distances of 1500 meter swim, 40 km bike, and 10 km run.
combination of technical skill and endurance that makes a good
triathlete is rare and there are not many world class competitors. So when they get together for an event as they do in the Summer
Olympics, it makes for drama and lots of excitment.
The swimming event traditionally starts the race. Once the swim portion is completed athletes leave the water, jump on their bikes, and start pedaling for all their worth! Having completed the bike race, they go into the final stretch with a 10 km run. The first person to complete the grueling full course is declared the winner.
Just up ahead, check out related web resources at sites offering complete coverage
from Rio, along with training details and a bit of history
on one of the top endurance sports ...
Simon Whitfield: silver and gold in triathlon.
Olympic triathlon fun facts
• Rules for triathlon include good sportsmanship - no shoving runners out of the way! And don't forget to fully prepare for each section of the course (still wearing swimming goggles while embarking on the bike run, for example, will get you disqualified.)
• Canada’s Simon Whitfield is the only triathlete to win two Olympic medals – gold at Sydney 2000 and silver at Beijing 2008.
• Australia boasts the most medals in Olympic triathlon with a total of five – one gold, two silver and two bronze.
More information about the Olympic triathlon around the Web:
Triathlon Union (ITU)
- This site is presented by the governing body for the sport.
You'll find good information on all triathlon events in the world,
including a very good Summer Olympics section and rankings for
all the triathletes with a collection of links to everything triathlon
related in many languages and from many countries.
- This site focuses on the USA with plenty of news and updates
on events in the States. Expect in-depth Olympics coverage on
American triathletes who are competing.
Olympics - Triathlon- Who to watch, along with star athlete bios & profiles,
the latest news updates, fan forum and complete U.S. TV schedule.
Olympics - Triathlon - Video reports, photos, the latest
updates and insider looks at what it takes to train for the Olympic
- Follow the triathletes from Team Canada and get the latest information
on all Canadian triathlon competitions at this national site with
information available both in English and French.