With seven books and eight films to its credit, the Harry Potter franchise is a treasure trove of interesting facts and tidbits to be unveiled.
There are family histories and intricate relationships to explore. Harry Potter glossaries are filled with place names, creatures and animals, as well as major and minor Harry Potter characters -- and real life actors who play them. Plus let's not forget the drama that takes place both in front of, and behind, the camera as each installment is played out on screen!
While an entire lifetime can be spent uncovering juicy details about the publication and filming of the Harry Potter saga, here are out Top Ten fun facts sure to fascinate even the most rabid Harry Potter fan:
Top Ten Harry Potter Fun Facts
First ever billionaire author.
1. J.K. Rowling is the first author ever to become a billionaire from writing books.
2. Stan and Ernie, the drivers of the Knight Bus (in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban), are named for Rowling's grandfathers.
3. The wizarding spell Expecto Patronum translates from the Latin to "I await a guardian."
4. In Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone dragon blood is revealed to be an effective oven cleaner.
5. At Hogwarts, grades include "Outstanding", "Exceeds Expectations", and "Acceptable". Failing grades include "Poor", "Dreadful", and "Troll".
6. Rupert Grint, who plays Ron Weasley, auditioned for the part in Harry Potter with a rap: 'My name is Rupert Grint, I hope you like this and don't think I stink..."
Rupert Grint recounts his audition for the role of Ron Weasley
7. Before filming began on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, lead actors Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson were asked to write autobiographical essays about their characters. Rupert Grint didn't deliver his essay. When questioned why, he said, "I'm Ron. Ron wouldn't do it."
Aged to perfection: Moaning Myrtle.
8. Voldemort has been played on screen by a total of 6 actors: Richard Bremmer, Ian Hart, Christian Coulson (teenage Tom Riddle), Frank Dillane (second teenage Tom Riddle), Hero Fiennes Tiffin (Ralph Fiennes' nephew, who played the part of 11 year old Tom Riddle), and most prominently, by Ralph Fiennes.
9. Actress Shirley Henderson took the part of Moaning Myrtle when she was 37 years old and remains the oldest actress ever to portray a Hogwarts student.
1.) What is the make and model of Mr. Weasley's flying car?
2.) Who was the headmaster of Hogwarts before Dumbledore?
3.) What is the last name of Nearly Headless Nick?
4.) What is the Hogwarts school motto?....
Mr. Weasley's car is a Ford Anglia
2 The headmaster before Dumbeldore was Armando Dippet 3 Nearly Headless Nick's last name is De Mimsy-Porpington
4 The official Hogwarts school motto is Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus, the Latin translation for "Never tickle a sleeping dragon".