Saturday Night Live is an honor and practically a right of passage
for most actors, actresses, or singers in today's business.
It is place where they can stretch their limits and abilities
and try new genres.
makes Saturday Night Live so unique is that it has always been
recorded live, which means there are no second takes or any edited
bloopers to laugh at later. The natural brilliance of the musical
guests, the celebrity hosts, and the members of the cast shines
through in the spur of the moment ad-libbing banter that can only
be found here.
Celebrating its 40th anniversary in 2015, Saturday
Night Live has been on air since October 11, 1975 making it one of the longest-running network television programs in the United States.
Famous SNL Alumni
a regular member of the cast is practically becoming part of history.
Many now-famous actors and actresses such as John
Murray, Paul Shaffer, Joe
Piscopo, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Martin Short, Damon Wayans,
Joan Cusack, Robert Downey Jr., Dennis Miller, Phil Hartman, Jon
Lovitz, Conan O'Brien, Ben Stiller, David
Rock, Rob Schneider, Norm MacDonald, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler got their
start on Saturday Night Live.
Saturday Night Live trivia and fun facts:
• Tina Fey was the first, and remains the only, female head writer in the show’s history.
• Of all the guest hosts that have appeared on SNL, Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin and John Goodman hold the record(s). Alec Baldwin currently boasts the most stints as host (16) while Steve Martin is the only person to serve as host three times in one season. John Goodman hosted the show 12 years in a row from 1989 to 2001.
• While some hosts are noted for their years of appearances, some cast members are more famous for their brief stints on the show including Robert Downey, Jr., Sarah Silverman, and Janeane Garofalo who all lasted just one season. The record remains with actor and comedian Ben Stiller who quit the show after only four episodes.
• Actor Steven Seagal is widely considered to have put in the worst-ever performance as guest host of SNL. He was banned from ever appearing again on the show after his first and only stint in 1991.
• Eddie Murphy is the only cast member to ever host the show while he was still a cast member, opening with "Live from New York ...it's the Eddie Murphy Show!" Nick Nolte was the scheduled host that night, but he called in with an epic hangover from a drinking bout the night before.
More about SNL around the Web:
- Find out who the next host and musical guest will be. The official
site where you can find the complete cast list and get bios on
everyone. View crisp, clear still photos from different episodes
along with feature video clips. Interesting trivia that all die
hard fans need to know.
Night Live - Complete history of the famous live show,
complete cast listing, great links, and trivia from Wikipedia.
Find out what it takes to make an episode of SNL by reading the
breakdown of daily activities.