MAIN Pop Culture
Useless factoids, arcane information, top ten lists ... or what's an Internet for? (Besides cat videos, of course.)
History is writ large with the big facts, while the discerning trivia buff knows that the truth very often lies in the footnotes.
So here, without further ado, is the giant list of fun facts and trivia to amuse and amaze -- along with our own personal collection of
and a related gold mine of trivia . fun facts around the Web
DID YOU KNOW? Top 25 Fascinating Fun Facts
Do I smell buttered popcorn?
1. Dr. Suess coined the word "
2. Contrary to popular belief,
you CAN tickle yourself. Try the roof of your mouth.
3. You can't hum while holding your nose closed.
4. Use equal pressure to squeeze opposite ends of an egg and it will never break.
Dreamt is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".
6. Tigers mark their territory with their urine which smells strongly of buttered popcorn.
7. When a pedestrian ignores street signs, he or she is referred to as a "jaywalker." Jay used to be slang for "foolish person."
8. Kool-Aid was originally marketed as "Fruit Smack."
animal with 4 knees.
9. The elephant is the only animal with four knees.
The world's largest wine barrel is located in Heidelberg, Germany.
11. The word for 'mother' begins with the letter 'm' in almost every language (mom or mum, mutter, madre, mere, màna, etc.)
12. Ants will not walk through talcum powder or chalk.
13. Bagpipes were invented in Persia, (in the area now known as Iran) and taken by the Romans to Scotland.
, a village in Wales, is the longest place name in the world. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Hard getting up in the
There's a word for that.
15. In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
16. The "stars" you see when you rub your eyes have a name:
17. A sequel to the Hollywood film
Beetlejuice was called The project got as far as a working script, but never produced. Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian.
18. Horses can't vomit.
19. ' Dysania' is the state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning.
20. The length of your forearm (from elbow to wrist) equals the length of your foot.
21. No worries. The odds of a meteor landing on your house are 1 in 182,138,880,000,000.
22. Bono's real name is Paul David Hewson.
23. The only nuts mentioned in the Bible are almonds and pistachios.
24. In 1939 Hitler's nephew, William Patrick Hitler, wrote an article entitled "Why I Hate My Uncle."
25. Giraffes are the only animals that do not yawn. No one knows why.
also see ->
Potter Trivia | Wine Trivia & Fun Facts
| Fourth of July Fun Facts Thanksgiving Fun Facts
| Movie Trivia & Fun Facts Trivial Pursuit
More trivia and fun facts around the Web:
Around the Web, come along on a deep dig to more on the topic - featuring little known historical figures & events, scientific oddities, uncommon knowledge & featured factoids - as we mine the Web for the really good stuff....
- Check out the largest collection of trivia online, featuring tons of interesting history & first facts, last words, bizarre occurrences, averages & statistics and more fun trivia browseable by subject. Encyclopedia of FunTrivia
- Hours off mindless interactive fun testing visitors' knowledge of pop & classical music, movies, geography, hi-tech, science, literature, plus check out the searchable database of celebrity birthdays. Trivia Plaza - Check out the Fact of the Day, or in categories such as Most Popular, Newest, or view them all in an archive of interesting information about animals, people, science, health, and more. Fact Retriever