5 pound chuck roast
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup sliced carrot
1 cup diced onion
1 clove garlic, sliced thin
1 large can chopped tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup pitted prunes
1/2 cup dried apricots
2 tbsp. flour
3/4 cup cold water
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat vegetable oil in 6 quart dutch oven, and add roast turning to brown on all sides.
4. Pour tomatoes over roast. Add carrot, onion and garlic.
5. Bake, covered, about 2 hours.
6. Add raisins, prunes and apricots.
7. Bake, covered, 1 hour or until beef is tender.
8. Remove roast and other ingredients to warm serving platter.
1. Pour pan drippings into 2 cup measuring cup. Skim fat from top.
2. Add water to make 2 cups.
3. Return to Dutch oven.
4. In small bowl, dissolve flour into 3/4 cup cold water and stir until smooth.
5. Bring pan juices to boil in Dutch oven and add flour-water mixture, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer.