1 1/2 pounds lump crab meat
6 tablespoons scallions with tops, chopped fine
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 small cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce, or to taste
1 cup plain dry bread crumbs
3 egg whites
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. In a large bowl, mix the crab with scallions, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, Old Bay seasoning and red pepper sauce.
2. Stir in 1/4 cup of bread crumbs.
3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form and add to crab mixture.
4. Take handfuls of the mixture and form into 4-inch patties 1 inch thick.
5. Spread remaining bread crumbs on a large platter and use to throughly coat each crab pattie.
6. Refrigerate patties for 45 minutes or until chilled.
7. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat and add crab cakes to fry on each side until golden brown. Add more oil as needed.
8. Remove to serving dish and serve with tartare sauce.