1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Work in the vegetable shortening with your fingers until mixture resembles course meal.
4. Add milk and stir, blending well.
5. Turn out onto a floured board and knead dough until just blended.
6. Form dough into a circle about 1/2 inch thick.
7. Cut dough into biscuits with a 2 inch cookie cutter and place on greased baking sheet.
8. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot with lots of butter.