Preheat oven to 375F.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking soda and sugar.
3. Add raisins and caraway seeds (optional).
4. Stir in buttermilk to form a soft dough
5. Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead until just blended.
6. Form the dough into an 8-inch round loaf, and cut a
cross on top with a floured knife. (This helps it rise.)
7. Place on floured cookie sheet and bake for 40 - 50
minutes, or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Serve warm with butter and jam.
Makes one loaf or two small 4-inch loaves.