1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
2. In bowl of electric mixer or a large mixing bowl, blend the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
3. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and mix for 2 minutes. The butter should be in tiny lumps distributed pretty evenly through the entire flour mixture when you're done.
4. Add raisins and mix about 1 minute.
5. Add buttermilk and continue mixing about 1 minute. If you are not using an electric mixer you'll want to knead the dough on a floured board for a minute or so. Make sure to put a bit of flour on your hands to keep the dough from sticking to them.
6. Drop a large spoonful of the dough onto an ungreased cookie sheets.
7. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.