1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup candied fruit, chopped
2 tablespoons rum or brandy
3 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1. In a small bowl, add raisins, candied fruit, and rum or brandy and let soak for 1 hour.
2. In a large bowl, blend the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Cut in the butter, mixing until the flour resembles course crumbs.
3. Add the milk, beaten eggs, vanilla, and liquor-soaked raisin and candied fruit mixture, and stir until blended.
4. Preheat oven to 350F.
5. Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth.
6. Form dough into an large oval.
7. Create the classic stollen shape by folding the dough, lengthwise, over itself.
8. Place on greased baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.
10. When cooled, dust generously with confectioner's sugar.