1. In a large saucepan, melt sugar in 2-Tbs. butter over medium heat.
2. Add apples and cook until soft.
3. Add red wine and reduce by ¼.
4. Reduce heat and add 1½ cups duck stock, 3 cups cherries, cinnamon stick, cloves and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer the mixture until liquid has reduced by half.
5. Strain sauce through sieve, then return to saucepan.
6. Add remaining cherries and simmer over medium heat until sauce has reduced by 1/3. Set aside.
7. Score duck breast by making a crosshatch incisions through the fat, then season both sides with salt and pepper.
8. Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add duck breast fat side down, cook until fat is rendered and skin is crisp.
9. Turn and continue cooking until duck is medium rare. [It is best to pour off the fat midway through the cooking process]
10. Thinly slice duck and serve with sauce.