1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.
3. With a knife or a pastry blender, blend the shortening into the flour mixture until dough looks like small balls.
4. Slowly add milk while you stir the dough with a fork until the balls have softened into a dough that you can roll. Stop adding milk before the mixture gets sloppy. It needs to be firm enough to roll.
5. On a lightly floured board, roll out the dough until it is about a 1/2 inch thick.
6. If you have a biscuit cutter, cut out 12 circles with it. If not, flour the rim of a glass and use it to cut the biscuits.
7. Place the biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the outside is golden.
9. Serve with butter or bacon.