1. Mix together the cup of sliced fruit or small berries, the lemon juice and zest and 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Set aside to soak and sweeten the fruit.
1. Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
2. Combine milk, sugar, vanilla and eggs in a mixing bowl.
3. Beat until frothy foam can be seen - you want to mix the eggs in really well! Put it in the refrigerator for a few minutes until you have the bread ready.
4. Cut the thick bread slices into two thick halves. Just as if you were cutting a sandwich in half.
5. Cut a slit in each of the bread pieces to form a hole for the fruit filling.
6. Put about 1 tablespoon of the fruit filling in each piece of bread and secure the slit with toothpicks to keep the fruit inside. Don't fill them so full that the fruit spills out.
7. Place the filled bread slices in a 13" X 9" baking dish.
8. You're ready for the egg mixture now. Beat it a second time to make sure it's really well mixed and pour half of the egg mixture over the fruit stuffed bread.
9. Flip the bread over and pour the rest of the mixture onto the bread. Make sure that all of the bread is coated. If you missed spots, just flip the bread over again until it is all coated.
10. Chill for 30 minutes flipping the bread pieces about 3 or 4 times while they are chilling. (When you put the bread in to chill take the syrup out to let it warm up.)
11. Grease another 13" X 9" inch baking pan and put the fruit filled bread pieces in this pan.
12. Bake for 3 - 5 minutes or until the top is golden brown then flip them and bake for another 3 - 5 minutes until the top is golden brown.
13. Place two pieces of french toast on each plate.
13. Serve toppped with warm fruit syrup and the rest of the fruits and berries.
If you want to be really fancy, add a bit of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream to the top!