1. Sift the flour, sugar and salt together into a medium sized mixing bowl.
2. Slowly add the liquid ingredients into the flour stirring to avoid lumps. Mix well.
3. Form into a ball of dough, and lightly knead for a minute or two.
4. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp linen towel and let sit for an hour. If a crust forms while the dough is resting, knead it again until smooth before rolling out.
5. Roll out onto a lightly floured surface until very thin.
6. Cut into strips about 6 - 8 inches long and 1/2 inch wide, and gently bend the strip of dough into a knot.
7. Fry in oil heated to 375ºF until golden. Watch them towards the end. They quickly turn from golden to overcooked!
8. Place on a plate covered with paper towels to drain oil.
9. Lightly dust with bowties with confectioner’s sugar.
10. Serve the same day. These do not store well.