1½ cups whole bran cereal
1 cup 1% milk
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon grated lemon peel (optional)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup drained canned peaches, chopped
1. In a medium bowl combine bran cereal and milk; let soak for 3 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
2. Stir in egg and oil.
3. In another bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, lemon peel (optional) and salt.
4. Add bran mixture, all at once, to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened; batter will be thick.
5. Fold in peaches.
6. Fill greased (or paper-lined) muffin cups 2/3 full.
7. Bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes.