1. On medium heat saute onion, garlic and red pepper in olive oil in large thick bottom pan or dutch oven. Stir constantly and cook until soft - careful not to have heat too high or cook too long - you don't want burnt bits in your chili.
2. Add ground meat (either beef or turkey) and spices. Cook until brown still stirring often to avoid burning. Should be about 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Add beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce and beer.
4. Cover and reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Top with chopped cilantro.
6. Serve with optional toppings - grated cheese, sour cream, chopped onions, and chopped peppers - on the side.