1. Cook 1/2 Lb bacon in a large frying pan until its crispy. Remove the bacon and set it aside.
2. Drain the bacon grease but leave about 2-3 TBS in the frying pan.
3. Then add the minced onions, garlic and red bell pepper to the grease and saute on medium high heat for about 3 minutes.
4. After 3 minutes add 2 tsp salt, 2 chopped basil leaves, 1/2 tsp black pepper and saute for 3 more minutes. Don't forget to stir while sauteing.
5. While sauteing pour 4 C chicken broth or vegetable broth into a large pot.
6. After you are done sauteing, put everything in the frying pan including all the bacon grease into the large pot with the broth.
7. Add 1 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce to the broth.
8. Heat the broth up on medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Now add the potatoes and cook for another 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. Turn off the heat and add 1 1/2 C Half & Half, mix well.
11. Add salt to taste.
12. Pour some of the potato soup in a bowl and add a handful of cheddar and then top it off with some crumbled bacon. If you like you can also add a TBS of sour cream.