1/2 cup warm water
2 packages active dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 cup warm milk
5 egg yolks
1 1/4 stick butter, softened
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1" plastic baby doll (to be placed inside for the "surprise".)
Colored sugars - green, yellow and purple
3 cups confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons water
1. In a small bowl, add warm water and yeast, mixing thoroughly.
2. Set bowl in a warm place until yeast doubles in volume, about 5 - 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, mix 3 1/2 cups of flour, sugar, nutmeg and salt. Stir in lemon zest.
4. Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in yeast mixture and warm milk.
5. Add egg yolks and slowly fold mix all ingredients until smooth.
6. Gradually beat in 8 tablespoons butter until a soft dough forms.
7. Remove dough and turn out onto a lightly floured board, kneading until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
8. Place dough into a greased bowl, cover with a towel and let rise until double in volume, about 1 1/2 hours.
9. Remove dough from bowl, turn out onto a lightly flowered board and punch dough down.
10. Sprinkle cinnamon over the dough and form into a long roll. 11. Twist dough to form a curled cylinder and connect the two ends to form a circle.
12. Place on a greased cookie sheet, cover with towel and allow to rest for an hour, or until double in volume.
13. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
14. Brush top of dough with beaten egg and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
15. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
16. Place the traditional baby doll inside the cake so that it is well hidden.
Combine sugar and 3 tablespoons water until smooth and spreadable. Spread icing over top of cake and liberally sprinkle the colored sugars in rows alternating between purple, green and yellow.