Watch for the 2022 Indy 500 to take place on Sunday, May 29, 2022 airing live on NBC with the green flag scheduled to go down at approx. 12:45PM ET.
All about the Indy 500
Now heading into its 106th edition, the Indy 500 continues to entertain fans with an action-packed race that is one of the premier sporting events worldwide.
And it all happens at the storied Indianapolis Motor Speedway as
top drivers line up to vie for one of racing's highest honors...
victory at the Indianapolis 500.
The race is traditionally preceded by the Indy 500 Festival, a month-long celebration in Indianapolis leading up to the race that normally takes place during a fun Memorial Day 2022 weekend.
With all the
hoopla surrounding the race, the day doesn't end when the last
car crosses the finish line. Hard on the heels of the Indy 500 is more fast-paced NASCAR racing action at the Coca Cola 600 on FOX.
• The longest Indy 500 was in 2004 when rain delays halted the race three times. ABC stayed on air for the entire race with a record-breaking 8 hour, 22 minute broadcast.
• The “Brickyard” got its name from the 3.2 million street paving bricks that were laid on the track in 1909. Today, one yard of the historic brickwork is still exposed at the start-finish line.
How The Brickyard got its name.
• The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the world’s largest spectator sporting facility, with more than 250,000 permanent seats.
• In fact, the Indy track is so big that the Roman Colosseum, Yankee Stadium, the White House, Vatican City, the Taj Mahal, the Rose Bowl, AND Churchill Downs can all easily fit inside the oval encompassing a whopping 253 acres.
• The biggest nail-biter at the Indy 500 happened in 1992 when Al Unser Jr. edged out Scott Goodyear by .043 of a second.
• The youngest winner of the Indy 500 was Troy Ruttman, who was 22 years-old when he won in 1952. The oldest winner was 47-year-old Al Unser who won the Indy 500 in 1987.
More about the Indy 500 around the Web:
500- The official site with all the latest action, driver
profiles, photo gallery, trivia, stats, schedule, track map, online
shop and ticket information, plus screensavers and wallpaper,
and a virtual lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, select
video clips and audio interviews.
500 Festival - The month-long celebration culminating
in the big parade and mini-marathon Memorial Day weekend. Includes
ticket info, event calendar, details on volunteering for events,
news on street closings, FAQ, and related travel links and resources.
- The online edition of the Indianapolis Star with feature stories,
special coverage of the Indy 500 with a row by row lineup, track
overview, an Indy wrap up, year by year history recaps, and lots
Indy Car Series - Take a close up look at the top drivers with photos, stats and
standings, feature stories and video clips.
Motor Speedway - Where it all takes place, and offering
the latest photos, rookie quotes, event happenings,
online ticket purchase and more on the Grand Prix and the Brickyard
400 races, the Hall of Fame Museum and tour information.