WHERE : Arizona State Fairgrounds, Phoenix
WHEN : Friday, October 5 to Sunday, October 28, 2018. Hours: Weds. - Fri. open 12 noon
Sat. - Sun. open 10am. Closed Mondays & Tuesdays.
DIRECTIONS : From I-10 Westbound, exit 19th Ave., turn right. From I-10 Eastbound, exit 27th Ave. left, turn right on Thomas, turn right on 19th Ave. From I-17 Southbound, exit Thomas left, turn right on 19th Ave. From I-17 Northbound, exit Thomas right, turn right on 19th Ave. From Grand Ave., turn east on Encanto.
Welcome to the one of the 5 largest state fairs in the US that easily attracts over 1 million visitors each year.
This year, watch for the Arizona State Fair to kick off on Friday, October 5 and run through to Sunday, October 28, 2018.
What with rodeo performances, an annual lineup of concerts by major headliners, dozens of carnival rides and everyone's favorite fried foods, the Arizona State Fair is always a family-friendly hit with kids of all ages.
Like most of the more famous state fairs, the Arizona State Fair began under humble circumstances.
Even before it was a state (Arizona entered the union in 1912), a group of families got together to organize the Arizona Territory Fair in 1884.
Since then - save for natural disasters, crop failures and a couple of world wars - the fair has been in almost continuous operation.
Today, the fair's permanent home is at the Arizona State Fairgrounds in Phoenix where each October the fair kicks off with an exciting variety of entertainment :
Figuring prominently are 75 different amusement park rides, more than a 100 food booths, and an array of agricultural exhibitions including everything from pig races to horse festivals.
Speaking of horses, another major annual attraction at the fair is the All-Indian Rodeo, which is usually scheduled when the fair is at its height. Bronco busting, bare-back riding, roping and steer wrestling are all part of the action as the rodeo thunders into the Grandstand in October.
Gary Allan, Snoop Dogg, Marilyn Manson and Rick Springfield
were major headliners at the
2017 Arizona State Fair.
2018 Arizona State Fair concert lineup
Headline entertainment is always on the menu, of course, with singers and bands from every genre represented and included free with each ticket purchase. For reserved seating, expect to pay an extra $15-$20.
This year, warch for the Arizona State Fair concert lineup to be announced over the summer featuring major acts in pop and country music throughout the fair's three week run.
Meanwhile, keep it here for updates on the complete concert lineup when it is announced.
DID YOU KNOW?
Arizona State Fair fun facts
Marilyn Monroe grandstanding at the fair.
• In 1955, the Grandstand Arena had a co-starrring role with Marilyn Monroe in scenes from the film "Bus Stop".
• The Arizona State Fair has seen a rollercoaster ride of ups and downs over the years, including cancellation of the fair in 1918 due to the flu pandemic, closing down in the 1930's during the Great Depression, and a hiatus for several years during both World War I and II.
• In 1985, the Arizona State Fair was well on its way to becoming one of the top state fairs in the nation when it hit its record attendance of over one million people.
• In 2006, the Arizona State Fair enjoyed a record high of 1,303,690 visitors thanks mainly to a concert lineup that included the Steve Miller Band, Foo Fighters, and Gretchen Wilson.
• The Party Gras, originally the Gem and Mineral Building, was built in 1918 to showcase minerals from Arizona's mining industry. Today it stands as the oldest building at the fairgrounds.
More information about the Arizona State Fair around the Web:
2018 Arizona State Fair -
Check out the official site with a complete guide to schedules, concert lineup, ticket prices, deals & discounts, major attractions, photos, maps and directions.
Arizona State Fair - Here's the Wikipedia guide to the annual fair including a brief history, attendance records, concert lineup and related resources.