Greater Gulf State Fair
Greater Gulf State Fair
Where: Mobile, Alabama Fairgrounds
When: Friday, October 26 - Sunday, November 4, 2018. 4PM to 10PM weekdays, 11AM to 11PM Sat., 12PM to 10PM Sun.
Directions to Fairgrounds:
From I-65 North/South Exit 5A, Springhill Ave
W, proceed 5.3 miles on Springhill Ave. Fairgrounds are on the right.
From I-10 East/West Exit 13, Theodore-Dawes Rd, follow signs to mobile Airport. Theodore-Dawes Rd becomes
Schillinger Rd. Proceed to Zeiglar Blvd, turn right and proceed 1 mile to the
Fairgrounds on the left.
By state fair standards, the Greater Gulf State Fair in Mobile is relatively new.
While most state fairs date back a century or more, the first Alabama fair was organized in the 1950's.
But the Greater Gulf State Fair's relatively young age means it has successfully learned from "old time" state fairs how to do the experience of "fun, food and family".
Like any good state fair, one of the main focuses is on animals and livestock. The Greater Gulf State Fair features shows, agriculture and livestock competitions, as well as animal performances in rodeos and other similar events.
Another other great attraction about the Greater Gulf State Fair? The food! Fair goers can always count on being treated to jambalaya, po boys, boudin, and shrimp bayou, as well as classic state fair foods like chili dogs, BBQ, funnel cakes and corn on the cob.
This year, the Greater Gulf State Fair opens on Friday, October 26 and runs through to Sunday, November 4, 2018.
2018 Greater Gulf State Fair entertainment lineup
The Greater Gulf State Fair tries to put the spotlight on the talent of local entertainers. While there may be a few national acts from year to year in the concert lineup, the vast majority of the musical entertainment is from the surrounding area.
Watch for the complete concert lineup to be unveiled over the summer, and keep it here for updates as they are announced.
Meanwhile, more attractions available include the thrills and chills of amusement park rides in the Midway, which stays open until 2AM on Fridays during the fair's traditional 10-day run.
Tickets for the Greater Gulf State Fair are $10 for general admission, and $5 for children. Special prices for Midnight Madness entry on Fridays have recently been replaced by unlimited ride passes at $25, and are now available every night.
DID YOU KNOW? Greater Gulf State Fair fun facts
1955: In person!
• In 1955, the very first Greater Gulf State Fair featured juggling acts along with music groups and singers including a young kid named Elvis Presley. The newcomer later tried to arrange a four-year contract with the fair for a whopping $1,600. It was too expensive, said organizers. And they never signed him.
• In the early days, the fair was most famous for cheesy side shows and risque burlesque performances where local boys got their first glimpse of scantily clad ladies!
• Today, in addition to Midway thrill rides for adults, Family Land sizes it down with kid-friendly rides, games, and Noah's Way Exotic Petting Zoo.
• Come for the attractions, stay for the food: Top favorites include chicken-on-a-stick and funnel cakes at The Chomping Grounds, one of the fair's most popular gathering places with more than 30,000 square feet of seated dining space.
More about the Greater Gulf State Fair around the Web:
Gulf State Fair - The official site with information on
admission and ticket prices, favorite food concessions, concert lineup, directions,
- Great Gulf State Fair- The official Facebook page
with updates, concert lineup, circus schedule, photos, and friend's postings.
- MobileFair's Channel - The official channel featuring
a growing number of promotional and informational videos.