Cape of Good Hope,
South Africa Travel Fast Facts
Getting there: regular flights from major cities to international airports in Cape Town and Johannesburg
What to see: Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, local markets, nature reserves, coastal beaches, South African wineries
Official language(s): English, Afrikaans
the very southern tip of Africa, South Africa is bordered by Namibia,
Swaziland and Lesotho.
metropolitan cities, (like Johannesburg and Cape Town) spectacular national parks and nature reserves,
and world class South African wine producing areas, South Africa remains one of the continent's major tourist destinations.
Of course, Cape Town and the coast are the major draw for visitors, who come to inspect (among many other attractions) the world famous landmark Cape of Good Hope, and the breathtaking
views from Table Mountain.
While here, be sure to see Castle of Good Hope, an ancient lesson in Cape Town history located in the city center, as well as a stroll around The Company's Garden, Cape Town's premier public park.
As seen from Blouberg Beach, Table Mountain is
Cape Town's No. 1 tourist attraction
with cable car rides to
the flat summit
affording sweeping views of Cape Town below.
More spectacles await outside the main cities on the Western Cape's scenic coastline tour,
from Mossel Bay to Port Elizabeth encompassing sun-drenched South
African beaches, game reserves, mountain vistas, and the
Winelands and vineyards around Stellenbosch, Paarl and
An elephant with her calf
at Pilanesburg Game Park
Heading further north along the coast lies Durban, the country's second largest city (and a popular beach vacation spot for South Africans) that serves as a great jumping-off point for touring the spectacular Royal Natal National Park.
The northern loop inland includes stops at Johannesburg and the center of the country's historic civil rights movement with a township tour around Soweto and stops at the Mandela Family Museum. A safari at Pilanesberg Game Reserve is also popular day trip from Johannesburg that usually ends with a relaxing dip in the pool at the nearby world famous Sun City resort.
DID YOU KNOW? South Africa Travel Fun Facts
All aboard the Pride of Africa.
• The Palace of the Lost City in Sun City is the world's largest theme resort hotel. Set amid a sprawling 60 acres, it includes a 5,600-square-meter wave pool, waterslides, sway bridge and botanical garden trails.
• Pride of Africa, which makes regular runs from Pretoria to Cape Town, is considered one of the most luxurious trains in the world.
• Bloukans Bridge, on the border of East and Western Cape, boasts the highest commercial bungee jump in the world (710 feet).
• South Africa has the longest wine route in the world and boasts the oldest wine industry outside of Europe and the Mediterranean.
South Africa travel & tourism around the Web:
to South Africa
- Welcome to the official travel site, with a colorful look at top attractions,
regional cuisine, itinerary and trip planner, interactive map.
Africa's Official Gateway
- Discover what's going on around the country with the focus on travel
information, hotels, flights and special attractions including
beach and wildlife guides, photo galleries, maps, quick travel
tips, feature stories.
Africa travel guide
- This excellent Wikitravel guide features all there is to see, as well as what not
to miss, plus insider travel tips with culture and etiquette advice,
driving dangers and how to get around by train, plain and bus,
helpful Afrikaans language tutorial, recommended hotels.
Town Attractions - Cape Town Sightseeing - A complete
guide with maps, photos, facts and related links to more information
on Table Mountain, Robben Island, Kirstenbosch Botanica Gardens,
and other top Cape must-sees, plus click around the left-hand
menu for recommended restaurants, hotel booking, Garden Route
tours, area beaches, and lots more ...