When: Thursday, September
13 to Sunday, September 23, 2018
Directions to Fairgrounds: The
Oklahoma State Fair is located at State Fair Park
just northeast of the I-40 & I-44 intersection,
at the 10th St. East exit off of I-44.
In 1907 just
before statehood, an Oklahoma state fair organization was founded,
and bought land for the purpose of converting it in to fairgrounds.
These first official state fairs focused on agriculture and farming,
but even at that early stage entertainment was becoming a larger
and larger draw for the fair, and people came as much for the
animal and livestock competitions as they did for the carnival
rides, vaudeville acts, and derbies.
Unlike many state fairs, the Oklahoma State Fair did not close
during World War II, except for the final year of 1945, which
is surely an endorsement of the fair's enormous popularity which
has continued to grow each year.
Oklahoma State Fair runs for eleven days in mid to late September
in Oklahoma City, and remains a fantastic event for the whole family.
This year, the Oklahoma State Fair kicks off on Thursday, September 13 and runs through Sunday evening, September 23, 2018.
2018 Oklahoma State Fair concert lineup
Headliners at the 2017 Oklahoma State Fair
included Josh Turner and Gary Allan
Watch for the 2018 concert lineup to be announced over the summer with dates and times for major headliner appearances throughout the fair's September run.
Tickets can be usually be obtained at the Oklahoma State Fair site and at etix.com. Visitors can also look forward to free nightly concerts that comes included with general gate admission.
Meanwhile, keep it here for updates on the concert schedule with a complete 2018 lineup with dates, performances and venues.
What else to see and do at the Oklahoma State Fair
With its long tradition of providing end-of-summer family fun, there are many great things about the Oklahoma State Fair that have never changed.
Agriculture and livestock still play a central role at the fair,
with livestock competitions, rodeos and horse shows and the ever-popular pig races!
Thrills and chills await at the Oklahoma State Fair Midway.
Carnival rides, of course, are also still a big part of the Oklahoma
There are also creative arts competitions, wine competitions,
and even ice shows.
The mainstays of any state fair, food stalls are also a big draw
for fair-goers who can choose from a huge variety of vendors offering
regional specialties and perennial fair favorites -- including corn dogs, beer-battered bacon, fried pork chops, and Dan's famous Indian Tacos!
Feel like relaxing with a nice glass of Oklahoma wine and other locally famous vintages? Check out the Beer and Wine Garden featuring a mellow atmosphere and live music -- then, check out the Oklahoma Expo Hall to meet local vendors, and learn more about homegrown businesses and Made in Oklahoma products.
DID YOU KNOW?
Oklahoma State Fair fun facts
Fearless Frank does it again.
• The Oklahoma State Fair dates back to its first opening day on October 5, 1907, one month before Oklahoma officially became a state.
• Today, the fair attracts close to 1 million people a year during its 11-day run.
• A standout in the history of state fair attractions was Frank "Fearless" Frakes. He was a professional daredevil who crashed his plane into a lightly constructed house on the grandstand infield at the 1940 fair, and walked away to great applause. After the crash, the house was quickly reconstructed so he could repeat the hair-raising performance daily.
• Although the 1962 film "State Fair" is set in Texas, the big race scene takes place at Oklahoma State Fair's Grandstand Speedway track which still exists as an active race car dirt track.
• Believe ... or Not! In 2017, an amateur video showing UFOs flying over the Oklahoma State Fair went viral on YouTube, only to be declared a hoax a short time later.
More about the Oklahoma State Fair around the Web:
Oklahoma State Fair - Here's the official site with information
on admission and ticket prices, favorite food concessions, livestock
show information, concert lineup, directions, map, photos and