San Francisco Travel Kit
Driving directions: Take US 101 from north or south; Interstate 80 from the east over the San Francisco Bay Bridge. Map Staying on the cheap: Trains: BART Trolleys & buses: MUNI
It will capture your heart with world-renowned attractions, restaurants and city parks, and combining metropolitan living with stunningly beautiful scenic views of world famous San Francisco Bay.
Attracting millions each year to annual traditions like
, the San Francisco Fleet Week and Fillmore Jazz Festival , San Francisco also entices millions more to world famous places like Hardly Strictly Bluegrass - the city's "loopiest". Lombard Street
Along with trips up to
for stunning city vistas, don't miss great dining in
Little Italy or at San Francisco's most popular culinary attraction, Chinatown. Coit Tower
More historical attractions await with a peek inside the city's dark past with popular tours to Alcatraz -- now a national park.
Meanwhile, for the kids, there's the
Exploratorium, one of the world's best hands-on science museums.
Of course, what member of your travel group would want to miss a ride "...halfway to the stars" on a San Francisco cable car?
Around the web, check out the rest of the best about the City by the Bay...
DID YOU KNOW? San Francisco Travel Fun Facts
Alcatraz rock star.
• When legendary gangster Al Capone was held at
Alcatraz he gave regular Sunday concerts with the inmate band, The Rock Islanders. He played the banjo.
The Golden Gate Bridge is actually painted "International Orange". The paint is the most resistant to wind and weather, and it's also the most visible through fog.
• In the San Francisco Botanical Garden, the
Garden of Fragrance was designed in 1965 for the visually impaired and appeals mainly to the senses of smell and touch.
• Makoto Hagiwara, designer of Golden Gate Park’s famous Japanese Tea Garden, created the first
fortune cookie in 1914.
• Despite its reputation for being foggy, San Francisco averages 160 sunny days a year and ranks above San Diego, Key West, and even Honolulu.
also see ->
| San Francisco Street Fairs Mendocino Wineries
More about San Francisco travel & tourism around the Web:
- Check out the online version of the hardcopy pocket guide chock full of information by neighborhood, plus info on family-friendly attractions, restaurants, accommodations and nightlife, with live Web cams from all over the city. Get going...
- Discover loads of information on the top spots including Golden Gate Park, Candlestick Park, Yacht Harbor, local golf courses, plus news, events and activities calendar. San
Francisco Recreation & Parks