In 1985, The National PTA established Teacher Appreciation Day as the first Tuesday of the first full week in May.
This year, Teacher Appreciation Day is celebrated in the US on Tuesday, May 3, 2022.
While the observance is sometimes known as Teacher's Day or National Teacher Day, the sentiment remains the same as students and parents recognize teachers for all their hard work and dedication.
If you're a teacher, watch Teacher's Day celebrations at national chains such as Chick-fil-A, Arby's, Chipoltle, and other local stores and restaurants offering teachers freebies and discounts with valid school ID.
With all that is required of teachers - and how young lives are touched in such a tremendous way - it is amazing that there isn't a special Hall of Fame for teachers. Until then, why not show your favorite teacher how much you appreciate them?
Take it from teachers -- anything that comes from a student's heart, even just a spoken "thank you", will mean the world to them.
Homemade Teacher Appreciation gift ideas
For a quick and easy idea, fill a mason jar with Peppermint Patty miniatures with a gift tag reading - "To the COOLEST teacher around!". Or, fill a large mug with caramel popcorn with the message "Here's to the school's most 'pop'-ular teacher!"
In the kitchen, check out your recipe file for your favorite cookie recipe. Bake up a batch and present them in colorful plastic wrap with the message "Thank you for making me a smart cookie!"
You can also do the same with a homemade bundt cake with the message "For a great teacher - Thanks a bundt'ch!"
If you're crafty, make colorful DIY paper flowers and attach them to the top of green No. 2 pencils. Place your homemade bouquet in a mug, with a gift tag reading: "Thanks for making me bloom!!" Or, get the kids involved by putting their hand-prints on card stock with the message: "Hands down, you're the best teacher around!"
The best homemade gift of all? Sit yourself down and write a heartfelt 'thank you' to the school principal on behalf of a deserving teacher. Describe all the positive ways in which they have influenced your child's development during the school year. Your child's teacher will always remember your thoughtfulness.
Teacher Appreciation gifts to buy
Besides flowers and cards, popular gift ideas or teachers may include a gift certificate, gourmet gift basket, a "Best Teacher" trophy or coffee mug, or a book of inspirational poems or quotes.
For a group gift, parents might organize to share the cost of a new leather brief case, a voucher for a weekend getaway, a customized plaque, or another special gift that a teacher might especially appreciate.
DID YOU KNOW? Teacher Appreciation Day fun facts
• In the 1940's, it was teacher Mattye Whyte Woodridge who first promoted a day set aside to celebrate teachers. Although it took many years, Woodridge finally saw her idea become reality before her death in 1999 when Congress finally declared National Teacher Day in 1980.
Famous Americans who entered the teaching
profession include Booker T. Washington,
Madeleine Albright, Laura Bush & Bill Clinton.
• A long list of famous American teachers include African-American educator Booker T. Washington, President Lyndon Johnson, President Bill Clinton, TV personality Joy Behar, First Lady Laura Bush, and diplomat Madeleine Albright.
• Year after year, polls have shown that teachers remain among the top five most trusted professions in the US for honesty and integrity. Other professions that traditionally make the list include nurses, military officers, medical doctors, and pharmacists.
• A teacher’s contract day does not include time spent working at home. And that may including anything from one hour in the evening preparing lesson plans -- to 16 hours on the weekend grading tests and homework.
• Still a melting pot, America holds the top spot of having the most international students in the world.
• Many other countries have similar celebrations. September 5 is the day set aside in India to recognize the special contributions made by teachers, while in China the day is celebrated on September 10. Throughout Latin America, September 11 is Teacher's Day. Meanwhile, World Teacher Day is recognized by UNESCO each October 5.
Quotes for Teacher Appreciation Day
"Example isn't another way to teach, it is
the only way to teach." -
“I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework.” — Lily Tomlin
“Most of us end up with no more than five or six people who remember us. Teachers have thousands of people who remember them for the rest of their lives.” —Andy Rooney
“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” — William Butler Yeats
“A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.” — Henry Brooks Adams
“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher.” — Japanese proverb
"It's easy to make a buck. It's a lot tougher to make a difference." — Tom Brokaw
"In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something less." — Lee Iococca
More about Teacher's Day around the Web:
Just up ahead, discover tips and ideas on the perfect gift for your child's teacher this year, along with more information on how Teacher's Day is celebrated in schools in the U.S. and around the world ...