One of the LEAST anticipated awards shows in Hollywood, (especially by those who have been nominated) the Razzie Awards have been dishonoring the very worst to come out of Hollywood since 1980.
Now in its 39th year, the Razzies are back in 2019 with a full list of Razzie nominees which were announced in January, along with the winners (a loose term, see below) which were unveiled at the official Razzie ceremony which was held on Friday, February 22, 2019.
Leading the pack this year was “Gotti,” “Happytime Murders” and “Watson & Holmes” (the winner?) -- which were all up are up for worst picture against “Winchester” (including one for its star, Helen Mirren, for worst actress) and “Robin Hood.”
All told, we did a pretty decent job of predicting what the Razzie committee would choose as worst stinkers of the year.
For comparison, check out our early picks for the Year's Worst from Hollywood, along with the complete list of eventual 2019 Razzie winners just up ahead.
2019 Razzies - Our Top 5 Picks for Worst Movie of 2018
And, SPOILER ALERT: It's not pretty.
5. ROBIN HOOD - Hey! Let's make this umpteenth version of the Hollywood classic and make it hip "for the kids". As a result, the film never once scores a bulls-eye throughout its endless running time.
4. GOTTI - The starring role was tailor-made for John Travolta. But even he couldn't save this biopic - about infamous gangster John Gotti that earned a 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Most reviews included the words "confused mess", but Johnny Oleksinski of the New York Post nailed it when he wrote,
"I'd rather wake up next to a severed horse head than ever watch "Gotti" again.
3. FIFTY SHADES FREED - At long last, it was the breathtaking climax to the "Fifty Shades" trilogy. And if you were eager for another mind-numbing script, populated by boring characters, you weren't disappointed. As the reviewer from the Arizona Republic saw it, "Johnson and Dornan retain the chemistry of two mannequins knocked into each other in a department-store storage closet."
4. HOLMES & WATSON - Opening just under the wire (released on December 25, Christmas Day}, Holmes & Watson was supposed to be a funny take on the Sherlock Holmes saga. The result was mass walkouts within the first 15 minutes. And suddenly, the mystery was solved as to why Holmes & Watson was never allowed to be reviewed by critics before it opened. "You'll ask for your money back," tweeted one unlucky viewer. And even by Razzie standards, that's pretty impressive.
1. THE HAPPYTIME MURDERS - Foul-mouthed muppets? It might have sounded good at the story conferences, but the movie couldn't even succeed as funny-stupid. It was just, you know, stupid. And with comedian Melissa McCarthy starring, it was also the biggest letdown of the year. "Maybe its gargantuan god-awfulness is not a exactly a sin against cinema", wrote Rolling Stone reviewer Peter Travers. "But throw away your money on a ticket and you're in for two hours of certain hell."
* "Donald J. Trump and his self-perpetuating pettiness," "Death of a Nation" and "Fahrenheit 11/9"
"Any two actors or puppets (especially in those creepy sex scenes)," "Happytime Murders"
"Johnny Depp and his fast-fading film career," "Sherlock Gnomes"
"Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly (trashing two of literature’s most beloved characters)," "Holmes & Watson"
"Kelly Preston and John Travolta (getting 'Battlefield Earth'-type reviews!)," "Gotti"
WORST REMAKE, RIPOFF or SEQUEL
* "Holmes & Watson"
"Death of a Nation" (remake of "Hillary’s America")
"The Meg" (ripoff of "Jaws")
* Etan Cohen, "Holmes & Watson"
Kevin Connolly, "Gotti"
James Foley, "Fifty Shades Freed"
Brian Henson, "Happytime Murders"
The Spierig Brothers (Michael and Peter), "Winchester"
* "Fifty Shades Freed"
"Death of a Nation"
The Razzies around the Web:
Elsewhere around the Web, track all the latest and juiciest Razzie news, pictures and video clips, the full list of the latest Razzie nominees &
winners, plus anything else you ever wanted to know about Hollywood's worst movies as voted upon by viewers and critics ...
Golden Raspberry Awards - What it all means, with a brief overview including notable Razzie inductees, personal reactions to their dubious achievement, complete Razzie winner lists dating back to 1980 plus related links, from Wikipedia.
IMDb Bottom 100 - Check out possible Razzie contenders with the top list of worst current bombs and major mistakes of the past, as voted by users of the Internet Movie Database.