1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg white
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup brewed coffee
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Icing: 1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
4 tsp. sugar
4 tsp. cornstarch
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
3. In separate bowl, beat together egg and egg white.
4. Beat in buttermilk, coffee and oil.
5. Make a well in flour & sugar mixture; pour coffee mixture and mix until blended.
6. Pour into greased 8-inch square cake pans.
7. Bake in oven for half-hour or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool in pan on rack.
9. Meanwhie, make the frosting my heating the milk in a small pan. Slowly add the remaining ingredients, stirring constantly until smooth.