1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease & flour 13x9" baking pan.
3. Sift dry ingredients - flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cloves - into large bowl.
4. In a separate large mixing bowl, beat sugar, pineapple, oil and vanilla together until smooth. Add dry ingredients until just moistened. Stir in carrots.
5. Beat egg whites in small mixer bowl until stiff peaks form. With rubber spatula gently fold 1/2 of the beaten egg whites into batter mixture. Repeat with the rest of the egg whites.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool the carrot cake in the pan or on a wire rack.