This year the Belmont Stakes takes its traditional place as the final leg of the Triple Crown on Saturday, June 11, 2022 when the race is televised live on NBC, beginning at 4PM ET, post time approx. 6:45PM ET.
And keep it here as Triple Crown season nears for analysis of major contenders starring in the big finale at Belmont 2022.
2022 Belmont post positions & morning line odds announced Tuesday, June 7
2021 Belmont recap
As predicted, it was favorite Essential Quality who went on to shine at Belmont -- beating another Derby finsiher, Hot Rod Charlie. Third place finisher was Preakness winner Rombauer.
Payouts at the 2021 Belmont Stakes were as follows:
Essential Quality -- $3.60 to Win, $2.90 to Place, $2.60 to Show Hot Rod Charlie -- $5.80 to Place, $4.20 to Show Rombauer -- $5.20 to Show
Usually, bettors can look to the winners and contenders in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness races to predict who might win at Belmont.
Essential Quality, the one to beat at Belmont.
Preakness winner Rombauer made the lineup, together with third-place Derby finisher Hot Rod Charlie and Derby fourth-place finisher Essential Quality, who at 2-1 was the odds-on favorite.
Other Belmont 3-year-olds in the running included Derby 13th place finisher Bourbonic, Overtook, Known Agenda, and Rock Your World, together with seventh-place Preakness finisher and Belmont long-shot, France Go de Ina.
All told, Rombauer's stunning upset at the Preakness meant there would be no Triple Crown winner and no sure prediction of a clear winner at Belmont.
Just up ahead, facts and figures, history & trivia and everything else you ever wanted to know about the Triple Crown finale in New York City.
The Belmont Stakes is run on the largest dirt track in North America at Belmont Park, measuring a massive 1 1/2 miles around.
The last and most demanding jewel in the Triple Crown, the Belmont race is also known as "The Test of the Champion" for the gruelling physical toll it takes on 3-year-old horses and the critical pacing and timing demanded of skilled jockeys.
Hey...this is the Big Apple - and In the final showdown only the smartest and strongest survive!
The lineup of major contenders at the Belmont stakes traditionally depend on the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness, and how well horses perform in those two races. But at Belmont, anything can happen.
DID YOU KNOW? Belmont Stakes Fun Facts
Secretariat wins by an incredible 31
at the Belmont Stakes in 1973.
• Betting at Belmont today? The No. 1 post has resulted in the most winners with 23. The No. 3 and No. 5 gates follow with 13 wins each.
• The traditional flowers at the Belmont Stakes are white carnations. A blanket of 500 carnations worn by the winning horse takes up to 10 hours to assemble.
• Triple Crown winner and horse legend Secretariat clocked the fastest time ever at the Belmont Stakes at 2:24 in 1973 and finished at an incredible 31 lengths.
• Another legendary Belmont winner, Man o' War (1920), sired three horses who also went on to win the Belmont Stakes: American Flag (1925), Crusader (1926) and Triple Crown winner War Admiral (1937).
• Start spreadin' the news .... “My Old Kentucky Home” is featured at the Kentucky Derby. “Maryland, My Maryland” is sung at the Preakness Stakes. But the race at Belmont features Frank Sinatra's version of "New York, New York" and only the version by Ol' Blue Eyes will do.
More about the Belmont Stakes around the Web:
Stakes - The official site offering up ticket information, video clips, history
and trivia and the complete lineup for the big race in June, along
with feature stories & highlights
Sports - Horse Racing - The official home of the televised Triple Crown races featuring Belmont news and related articles, video clips,
history and trivia, plus fun features on the Kentucky Derby and Preakness races.
Stakes - Wikipedia - Deep background, historical facts & photos
along with a complete list of winners and jockeys
dating back to 1867.