Directions: Capitol City Freeway (Business 80) (North). to
Exposition Blvd exit.
State Fair, which is held annually in Sacramento, is an amazingly
popular event that brings almost million people each
year, with attendance records generally going up from year to
This year, watch for the California State Fair to open on Friday, July 10 and continue for 16 fun-filled days until Sunday, July 26, 2020.
California State Fair admission prices usually run from $12 for general admission, $10 for seniors, and $8 for children.
Like many other state fairs, the first in California (in 1854) premiered when the state was looking to promote its
farming and industry. For the next few years, the fair moved from
city to city beginning in
Francisco and eventually settling in Sacramento in 1859 where
it remains to this day.
Today, the fair is a truly massive event that brings in an estimated
one hundred and fifty million dollars or more to the Sacramento
area and the state of California.
attract visitors, and to take advantage of the annual peak summer
vacation and travel periods, starting in 2010 the fair changed
its regular mid-August dates to reschedule in mid-July.
2020 California State Fair concerts
The 2019 California State Fair concert lineup included
Martina McBride and The Marshall Tucker Band.
In addition to the huge number of exhibitors, what would a state fair be without live
This year, expect the California State Fair concert lineup to feature a schedule of star performers at concert nights throughout the fair's three-week run.
Meanwhile, keep it here for updates as the official concert lineup is announced over the summer.
Concert seating is available on a first come first served basis, with exclusive reserved seating for those who purchase tickets available online at the California State Fair website. All concerts usually begin at 8PM.
What else to
see and do at the California State Fair
The food, exhibits, carnival rides, and sports competitions are just part of fun at the annual California State Fair.
Some of the other entertainment that fair-goers are treated to includes
food and livestock competitions, thoroughbred horse racing, and
talent shows for adults and children. Visitors can also take in
a variety of extreme sports competitions and demonstrations, including
For indoor browsing, there's a juried fine art show, crafts exhibitions, and -- for kids of all ages -- don't miss a visit to the Toytopia exhibition featuring retro coin op games, a giant interactive doll house, and lots, lots more.
Anyone looking to get out and enjoy a great state fair will find that the California State Fair is one of the biggest
and best of them. With so much to do and see, it's end-of-summer
excitement you won't want to miss.
DID YOU KNOW? California State Fair fun facts
• A major draw at the early fair was a real, live train crash -- staged annually to entertain audiences with an eyeful of twisted wreckage as two locomotives met head-on! The big bang ended several years later with the start of World War I.
• Revive yourself at the fair with an orange freeze at Merlino’s, a Sacramento tradition since 1946. Legend has it that EMT's were once called to the fairgrounds for a visitor suffering from the heat. He was given a Merlino's freeze and by the time medics arrived he was fine.
• While you're there, have a taste of the California grape. The state fair hosts the oldest wine competition in North America, with more than 2,800 entries each year.
• In addition to bacon-wrapped turkey legs and the 1/3 lb. Elvis hamburger, remember that this is the California State Fair where vegan, gluten-free and fresh salad and fruit dishes are always on prominent display.
• For a great overview of everything to see and do, ride the famous California State Fair monorail that was inspired by another famous California attraction, Disneyland.
the California State Fair around the Web:
California State Fair - The official site with information on admission
and ticket prices, fair highlights including rides, concerts,
entertainment, and attractions with directions, map, photos.