For beer drinkers, a stop at the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam is a must as visitors are treated to four levels of historical artifacts, interactive exhibits and, of course, a sample brew.
Major Amsterdam tourist attractions include the Anne Frank house (left), the world class
as well as cruising along the famous canals (right).
Popular day trips from Amsterdam include a trip back in time (it takes about 20 minutes by car) to Zaanse Schans with an impressive outdoor museum featuring picture perfect windmills and other historic buildings. With its close proximity, another popular excursion from Amsterdam lands you in Bruges, Belgium providing an easy tour of the famous medieval city and stunning Gothic architecture.
Farther afield, bikes remain the best way to see the Netherlands -- and extraordinarily flat country -- accentuated in early spring by legendary tulip
fields located near Leiden. There are also thousands of acres of national park at Hoge Veluwe, home to the Kroller-Muller Museum, boasting one of the finest Van Gogh collections you're likely to see anywhere.
DID YOU KNOW? Netherlands Travel Fun Facts
In the Netherlands, English is the most popular second language after Dutch.
• Most people in the Netherlands speak another language other than Dutch. Almost 86% of the population speak English.
• Forget the ketchup. One of the most popular snacks in the Netherlands is french fries and mayonnaise.
• When in the Netherlands, give three kisses. The custom is for women to greet both men and women with a kiss on either cheek, and then back to the first in a quick pecking motion.
• There is a bike for almost very person in the Netherlands, and twice as many bicylces as cars.
• With famous brands such as Amstel and Heineken, the Dutch are the biggest beer exporters in the world, with half of it shipped to the U.S.
More about Netherlands travel & tourism around the Web:
- The top attractions explained in words and pictures including
the Anne Frank House, historical museums and places, the infamous
Red Light District, plus visitor tips & maps, guides to hotels,
restaurants and shopping.