Sweet potato pie is a southern tradition that ranks high in soul food cooking. Simple to make and a high fiber healthy food it has long been part of the traditional Thanksgiving meal.
But this pie is just too good to only eat once a year. Did we mention recent research that proves nutritious sweet potatoes can help you maintain overall good health?
Not that we ever needed an excuse, of course.
A southern US tradition, sweet potato pie has been steadily gaining in popularity in many households where you're likely to find it at many holiday gatherings...or just served by itself as a delicious and healthy snack any time.
Some like their sweet potato pie plain, others top it with pecans, ice cream, or whipped topping. A few culinary pros even mix up a meringue with egg whites to top it off during the last few minutes of baking. The taste is sweet enough to serve as a dessert, but sweet potato pie can also take the place of a veggie at the main course.
Either way, sweet potato pie is an all-occasion treat!
How to make sweet potato pie
1 (1 pound) sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter softened to room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
1. In a large pot add water and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Cook for 45-50 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
2. In a larg bowl, add cooked sweet potato and butter, and blend with hand mixer.
3. Add sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
4. Place pie crust in a 9-inch pie dish and pour sweet potato mixture into the crust.
5. Bake at 350 degrees (F) for about 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Sweet Potato Pie - Just sweet potato pies from AllRecipes.com, with ten different versions to choose from, including complete ingredients, instructions and star-rated visitor reviews.
Sweet Potato Pie Recipes - From CD Kitchen with a huge collection of visitor-submitted recipes including bourbon and vanilla flavored, traditional Southern, praline and pecan-topped sweet potato pies. Yum.
North Carolina Sweet
Potato Recipes - This collection of recipes comes from the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission featuring traditional, sugar free, coconut-crusted and more with complete ingredients and instructions..