National Hot Dog Day is usually observed every third Wednesday in July.
Although not an official holiday, National Hot Dog Day celebrates one of the country's most popular street foods (with extra mustard, please) when it is observed this year on Wednesday, July 20, 2022.
Meanwhile, watch for local diners, national restaurant chains and major league baseball stadiums to join in the fun with National Hot Dog Day specials or free hot dog giveaways in celebration.
2022 National Hot Dog Days deals & freebies
As always, look for deals and freebies from Nathan's Famous, Sonic Drive-In, 7-Eleven along with other favorite neighborhood restaurant chains and supermarkets celebrating National Hot Dog Day with lots of offers, discounts and freebies,
Meannwhile, keep it here for updates as they are officially announced over the summer!
• During a typical summer, Americans will consume a total of 7 BILLION hot dogs.
• In fact, a 2021 hot dog survey showed that 75% Americans prefer their hot dogs straight off the grill, followed by over a campfire (9%), boiling (6%), steaming (3 %), frying in a pan (2%), or microwaving (2 %).
Historians say the "little sausages" first appeared
in America with 19th century German immigrants
who began selling them from push carts in NYC.
They dubbed them "dachshund dogs".
• The most popular hot dog topping among adults? It's mustard, at 68%. followed by ketchup (61%), onions (44 %), relish (41 %), chili (30 %), cheese (29%), sauerkraut (20%), mayo (19%), bacon (14%), jalapenos (13%), and coleslaw (12%).
• On May 31, 2012, a world record was set for the most expensive hot dog. The “California Capitol City Dawg” sold for $145.49 at Capitol Dawg in Sacramento to help raise money for charity. The 18", 3 lb. hot dog was served on fresh-baked gourmet buns with toppings that included truffle butter, dried tomatoes and moose cheese from Sweden.
• 7-Eleven sets the record for selling the most grilled hot dogs in North America, selling approx. 100 million of them each year.
• More hot dogs are eaten in Los Angeles than anywhere else in the country, beating out it's old rival New York City which now comes in second.
• Speaking of the Big Apple, the nation's most famous competitive eating contest takes place each year during Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest on the 4th of July in Coney Island.
• "As American as hot dogs, apple pie and baseball" is an old saying that comes from the fact that most hot dogs in America are consumed during baseball games. In fact, it's estimated that baseball fans will consume more than 26 million hot dogs at US baseball stadiums this season.
How to celebrate National Hot Dog Day
The best hot dogs in town, Pier 19 in San Francisco.
On National Hot Dog Day, head for the supermarket, the corner diner or restaurant, or your local street vendor to enjoy (what else?) a hot dog with all your favorite toppings in honor of the day.
In the backyard, grill up a bunch of hot dogs on the barbecue. Just remember to use tongs when lifting them on or off. A fork pierces the meat and lets the flavorful juices escape which often results in a dry dog.
Sitting around the laptop with nothing to do? Check out funny Hot Dog Day e-cards to send to friends and family with your very best wishes for a very Happy National Hot Dog Day.
Finally, if your favorite toppings are limited to mustard or ketchup, get creative on National Hot Dog Day with new and tasty additions.
Try out this recipe for homemade pickle relish and you'll probably never buy store-bought again:
Homemade Hot Dog Pickle Relish
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
3 tablespoons brown sugar
8 large dill pickles, diced
1 small cooked red pepper, diced
1 small cooked yellow pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 tablespoons chopped dill
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium saucepan, add vinegar, mustard seeds, and coriander seeds and bring to a slow boil.
2. Cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients, and stir until blended. Cover and refrigerate for several hours to cool before serving.
More about National Hot Dog Day around the Web:
Hot Dog Month and Hot Dog Day - Information about the day along with hot dog fun facts, online games and recipes, and an entire collection of e-cards to send.