Every July 23rd, the hot dog is honored with lots of information and fun facts about the wonderful wiener which has managed to capture America's hearts for well over a century.
Although not an official holiday, National Hot Dog Day is set to recognize one of the country's most popular street foods (with extra mustard, please) when it is observed this year on Saturday, July 23, 2016.
Meanwhile, watch for local diners, national restaurant chains like Sonic, and major league baseball stadiums to join in the fun with National Hot Dog Day specials or free giveaways in celebration.
Hot dog fun facts for National Hot Dog Day
• The saying "as American as hot dogs, apple pie and baseball" comes from the fact that most hot dogs in America are consumed during baseball games. In fact, it's estimated that baseball fans will consume more than 26 million hot dogs at US baseball stadiums this season.
• During a typical summer, Americans will consume a total of 7 billion hot dogs.
Historians say the "little sausages" first appeared
in America when 19th century German immigrants began selling them from push carts in NYC. The
nickname "dachshund dogs" later evolved
into the beloved hot dog.
• The most popular hot dog topping among adults? It's mustard, at 87.6%. Among kids, it's ketchup.
• More hot dogs are eaten in Los Angeles than anywhere else in the country, beating out it's old rival New York City which now comes in second.
• Speaking of the Big Apple, the nation's most famous competitive eating contest takes place each year during Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest on the 4th of July in Coney Island.
How to celebrate National Hot Dog Day
On National Hot Dog Day, head for the supermarket, the corner diner or restaurant, or your local street vendor to enjoy (what else?) a hot dog with all your favorite toppings in honor of the day.
In the backyard, grill up a bunch of hot dogs on the barbecue. Just remember to use tongs when lifting them on or off. A fork pierces the meat and lets the flavorful juices escape which often results in a dry dog.
Sitting around the laptop with nothing to do? Check out funny Hot Dog Day e-cards to send to friends and family with your very best wishes for a very Happy National Hot Dog Day.
Finally, if your favorite toppings are limited to mustard or ketchup, get creative on National Hot Dog Day with new and tasty additions.
Try out this recipe for homemade pickle relish and you'll probably never buy store-bought again!
Homemade Hot Dog Pickle Relish
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
3 tablespoons brown sugar
8 large dill pickles, diced
1 small cooked red pepper, diced
1 small cooked yellow pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 tablespoons chopped dill
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium saucepan, add vinegar, mustard seeds, and coriander seeds and bring to a slow boil.
2. Cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients, and stir until blended. Cover and refrigerate for several hours to cool before serving.
More about National Hot Dog Day around the Web:
Hot Dog Month and Hot Dog Day - Information about the day along with hot dog fun facts, online games and recipes, and an entire collection of e-cards to send.