National Junk Food Day is not an officially recognized holiday by any means - sort of like Christmas in July!
But it's always a great excuse for Americans everywhere to skip their diets -- and indulge in all foods that are sweet, greasy, or calorie-laden!
In 2019, National Junk Food Day falls on Sunday, July 21. And, this year, there's a special treat in store -- as National Ice Cream Day 2019 falls on the same day!
So plan on a weekend solely devoted to pigging out on everyone's favorite fast food, snacks, candy (AND ice cream) - without the guilt!
Even doctors say it's good to take a mental health break by indulging in your favorite junk foods once in a while. Why not make it National Junk Food Day?
Junk Food Day fun facts
"The sweetest comeback ever."
• The term “junk food” was first popularized in the 1960s, but only really caught on following the release of the top radio hit, “Junk Food Junkie" in 1976.
•The iconic Twinkie was threatened with extinction when maker Hostess filed for bankruptcy in 2012. The following year the company was bought up by a global management firm. Soon the famous snack cake returned to store shelves to the delight of millions of Americans coast to coast. The rapid turn of events was later billed as "the sweetest comeback in history ever."
• The Tootsie Roll is named after its creator Leo Hirshfield's daughter Clara, whose nickname was "Tootsie."
• Today, the average American eats about 24.5 pounds of candy per year, with almost half of that made with some variation of chocolate.
• America's most popular candy bar? Snickers. The best-selling potato chip brands? 1. Lay's, 2. Ruffles, and 3. Pringles.
• The top five most popular ice cream flavors are vanilla, chocolate, butter pecan, strawberry and chocolate chip mint - in that order.
Snickers, still America's
favorite candy bar.
How to celebrate National Junk Food Day
Throw caution to the wind. Eat more junk food ...at least for one day.
From greasy fast food to candy bars and lollipops, jelly beans, ice cream and milkshakes -- the major goal is to enjoy your favorite guilty pleasure for 24 hours without worrying about all the empty calories you're consuming.
Share the wealth with friends and neighbors by presenting gift baskets chock full of junk food, or go retro by searching online for purveyors of nostalgic candies such as Pez, Twizzlers, Animal Crackers, and other favorites from days gone by.